Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2014 09:00

Any HD (nearly) for T320 w/ H710 good?

On the T320 w/ 8 hot swap bay and Perc H710 controller...

Can I use any SAS or SATA drive without any issues? I mean they should be good enough to be used in RAID etc. but i mean is the Dell gonna wanna see Dell only drives? The reason I'm asking is that I may already have some drives in house, or want to add them later. 

Also, since I'm only going to order 2 SAS drives to come with it, are all the other empty bays going to come with hot swap HD trays so that I can mount whatever HD into them later:?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 29th, 2014 10:00

"Can I use any SAS or SATA drive without any issues? I mean they should be good enough to be used in RAID etc. but i mean is the Dell gonna wanna see Dell only drives? The reason I'm asking is that I may already have some drives in house, or want to add them later. "

You can use any SAS or SATA drives, but which ones you use can determine whether or not you will have issues.  DON'T use consumer/desktop/laptop drives.  Enterprise class drives should be used at a minimum.  Certified drives are recommended for maximum reliability or if you will ever require Dell Support to assist in troubleshooting storage-related issues.  Generic/retail non-certified enterprise drives can be used - usually without issue - as long as your support team is adept at troubleshooting storage/RAID issues.  Some generic/retail drives have been tested by the drive manufacturers to be fully compatible (like WD RE4's), although they are not considered "certified" or guaranteed by Dell.  If shopping for Dell-certified drives, you do NOT have to pay the high price of buying directly from Dell ... they can be purchased from a number of online retailers/suppliers.

"Also, since I'm only going to order 2 SAS drives to come with it, are all the other empty bays going to come with hot swap HD trays so that I can mount whatever HD into them later:?"

No, unconfigured drive bays will come with blanks, not empty carriers/caddies, so you will need to purchase the carriers from suppliers as well (or with the drives).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 31st, 2014 12:00

3.5":  F238F, X968D, G302D
2.5":  G176J, Y961D, G281D

There may be others, but that should get you started.

Many Dell-certified drives you purchase from suppliers will include the carriers.

20 Posts

January 31st, 2014 09:00

lol it looks like Dell is selling the same HDs for way less on amazon lol.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 31st, 2014 10:00

Dell does not sell drives anywhere but directly.  But directly from Dell is NOT the only place to buy Dell drives.  MANY suppliers carry them, and they are almost always MUCH cheaper than buying direct.

20 Posts

January 31st, 2014 12:00

ah yeah, they are other suppliers on amazon...

what is the part # for the 2.5 and 3.5" HD trays for the T320?

No Events found!