Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2010 13:00

BIOS not recognizing RAID in a 2650

I have a used 2650 I purchased yesterday (my first dell server, and first post).  It has the RAID key, RAID dimm, and what I believe to be the RAID battery.

However, there's no mention of RAID on boot, and under integration components I cant' change SCSI to RAID at all.  As I understand it, I should at least see RAID in the bios if it's recognized at all. 

I pulled the cover and it looks like it has PERC 3/Di RAID, if that helps.

What I have done:

I ran the dell openmanage server assistant, but did not mess with any firmware on a floppy (which it seemed top want).

Should I return the server? Or keep working on the install.

Thanks all for reading a real newguy request.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

If it does indeed have all the necessary parts for the onboard RAID, then you should be able to enable RAID in the BIOS.  If you had incorrect, missing, or malfunctioning RAID components, it would complain about them.  There really is no trick to it, so if you cannot enable it, I would return it - if using SCSI mode is not acceptable.  You might try reseating (and making sure they are seated securely) all the RAID components AND the expansion riser.  You might also try clearing the NVRAM using the jumpers on the motherboard.

347 Posts

+1 on the reseat of devices and nvram. Also, if  you get passed this part, check the functionality of the USB ports to make sure they all work. Trust me on this one.

August 12th, 2010 14:00

So to hijack this for one more question:

Should I obtain one that works, am I reading right I would get the opemanage server assistance CD and a RAID firmware floppy disk in and then run setup?

The end goal is to get vmware ESX running on it.

August 12th, 2010 14:00

Thank you both for the quick replies.  Last night I had removed the raid key and the raid dimm and reseated them both.  If there's some other component I should have checked, that's my lack of experience on the hardware side.  Even pulled out all but two sticks of the system RAM in case their was a bad stick.

I'm going to be back in touch with the seller today to see if we can try another. 

August 13th, 2010 07:00

UPDATE:  As I figure someone may find this in a google search, I wanted to provide an update.

The recommendations here were spot on.  I went back to where I obtained the server.  We swapped out the raid key, raid dimm, and some card over the middle scsi slot (he suggested that one, I didn't know what it was).  It then immediately showed up as an option when i hit F2 to enter setup.

Thanks again all forum members for the assistance.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

The card is a daughterboard that "splits" the backplane into two "channels".  This can create a performance increase in some situations, although it is an optional component, so I'm not sure why it would prevent the controller from being recognized.  Glad you got it sorted out though :)

thanks for the clarification.  I think it's more likely that the raid key or ram we swapped actually fixed the problem, then.  All there were changed out at the same time.

No Events found!