Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2015 10:00

Change raid From 10 to 5

Hello Everyone, 

I have an R730 running multiple servers using Hyper-V. I am wondering if it is possible to change the raid from Raid10 to raid 5, which out loosing data, and if so how can this be done. As I poke around via the life cycle, I can go to raid configuration and I can select which raid array I would like to use, but I am afraid this will likely delete any data I already have. 

Thank you. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 12:00

Hello.

The Dell PERCs support Online Capacity Expansion (OCE) which allows you to expand the size of an array by adding disks for example expanding 4 Disk RAID 5 array to 5 Disk RAID 5 or by replacing Disks in an array with higher capacity Disks. They also support RAID Level Migration (RLM) which allows you to convert one RAID level to another for example RAID 1 to RAID 5. However, these same operations are not applicable to nested arrays like RAID 10/50/60 either as a target or starting RAID level.

The only option available for you is to ensure that you have valid backup of your data, delete the RAID 10 array and then reconfigure the available Disks to RAID 5.

No Events found!