Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2015 14:00

DELL R910 bad motherboard?

After trying to resolve what I thought was a Disk error I am left with an R910 that will not boot.  Subsequent attempts to "drain power" and bring it up have all failed.  I am seeing these two errors on the LCD screen:

1. E1000 failsafe voltage error

2. E122E onboard regulator failed

Google searches reveal that I may be looking at a failed motherboard.  Can anybody tell me if they have suffered this with an R910, and what they did about it?  Also I would really like it if someone from Dell can tell me how to begin a support call now that this box is both outside of warranty and outside of support.  Thanks.

131 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 16:00

OK.  I know when to give up.  I have put my R910 back under support and am calling in the troops. 

131 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 10:00

OK.  I am on site now with Lilly on the line at Dell.  She is researching prior to my going into the cage.  This colo here is QTS Santa Clara.  A pretty high end place and other than the awful drive here I like it.  The guys are helpful.  Sales is greedy of course, but the coffee is good.

131 Posts

June 3rd, 2015 15:00

OK.  Took the server apart and removed every PCI card, and stripped down to 1 processor and 2 dimms.  Still dead as a corn cob.  Nothing could make this box post.  Tomorrow Dell on site will bring a new motherboard and many other parts.  Hopefully this person can work the magic.

131 Posts

June 11th, 2015 11:00

And it turns out DELL has logistical issues.  The first replacement motherboard arrived with bent pins in Socket0, meaning that the first and critical processor could not be relocated to it.  Worldwide Technical Services (DELLs contractor) had to ship that back and order another one.  DELL felt pity for me and sent me another one same day and another tech.  The 2nd one arrived warped.  I found out that this is not an uncommon occurrence, and the packing material for these boards which measure almost 22" x 38" consists of large box rather like a pizza box with just a thin layer of foam around the edge.  Nothing to support the center of the board.  Add to this that the boxes are light and we know how shipping guys handle light thin pizza boxes.  They throw them like Frisbees. 

Well here I was with my warped board for my $30K server that I had to bring up because it was costing money every minute it was down.  I did the only thing I could do.  I watched the tech lay the board over his knee and bend it back to a reasonable flat state, and then install it.  It worked, and for how long will it continue to work?  The jury is still out on this one, and Dell wants to replace it again given the warpiage factor.  For me...my firm agrees that it should be replaced, but how can I have confidence the replacement will not arrive warped, or with bent pins?  Had I not been present when the tech replaced the board (which I feel is often the case), I believe my ignorance would be bliss.  Still someday I will need to schedule maintenance and replace that board again.  I just hope DELL had figured out their logistics issue by then.

No Events found!