Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2012 01:00

Dell Memory utilising block windows startup.

Hi Support Team,

Happy New Year. Best wishes in good health & wealth.

I have a problem with my Dell Poweredge T300. I got 2 x 500GB HDD (SATA). Windows server 2003.

I think it lost the boot partition. The next day I considered that a boot screen showing some kind of memory diagnostics. The dell memory utility showing up and it cannot boot up to windows. I'm suspecting its some virus that corrupt the boot partition. I don?t know.

Now my worry is that how I can?t get the data inside in the drives. In 'My computer' its showing a partition of dell utility of 39.00MB, NOT 500GB. On the disk  management its showing 490GB. That 39.00MB is FAT16 system file.

Could you please assist on how I can go to recover the files and data. Or Bypass the memory diagnostic utility and get into windows. Anything more do let me know.

Thank you very much and appreciate your assistance.

2 Posts

January 9th, 2012 01:00

another thing is i connected the DELL HDD on external enclosure to view the files. my winxp sp3 doesn't view the whole partition, only 39MB. tried on win vista, 7 32bit & 64bit, still can't see the full size (500gb) in 'My Computer'. Even Ubuntu and redhat can't see the full size.

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

January 9th, 2012 05:00

Hi Jason,

Are you able to boot to a CD or DVD? If so, you may be able to try a repair install of Windows 2003 Server if you the installation CD or DVD available. To do this, please see the section entitled How to Repair Your Installation of Windows here: support.microsoft.com/.../325375

As with any issue like this, there is a possibility that the hard drive has developed a fault. You can download diagnostics at this link: www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

Run the .exe file - this will allow you to burn a CD with the diagnostics which you can then boot to. This has some tools which can help you find if there is a hardware fault with the hard drive or whether the issue is solely with your boot partition.

Please let us know how you get on.

No Events found!