This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2015 06:00

Dell R710 IDRAC 6 express Raid 6 hot swap of problematic disk

Hello,

Can you please help me with this.

I have a Dell R710

IDRAC 6 express and

Raid 6 with 4 SAS disks. 

One of the disks is blinking green/amber/off. Server is in production and there is no way to turn off the disk with the help of software. Is it safe to just plug out the problematic disk and then plug in the new disk? 

Thank you

• 

8.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 10:00

Ikomlenac,

With the drive flashing amber and green, it is indicating a Predicted Failure on that drive. Now with a Predicted Failure there are specific steps needed when replacing. If the drive is flashing amber and green, and is in a failed state, then yes you can simply remove that drive and insert a replacement all with the server running. Now if the drive is flashing amber and green, but is ONLINE in the array then removing and inserting a replacement runs the risk of carrying the Predicted Failure over to the array. Which risks causing a double fault or a punctured stripe. The proper steps to take with an Online Predicted Failure would be to either force the drive offline, from within OpenManage Server Administrator, or by powering down the server prior to removing the drive. With the server being in production, powering down to remove may be an issue.

Do you currently have OpenManage installed, and if not what is the specific OS you are using?

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 13:00

Chris,

Disk should definitely be replaced and there is no OpenManage installed. Server has CentOS 5.9. Can OpenManage be installed with this OS, without the restart of server ? If so can you please write a quick manual how to do it. 

• 

8.5K Posts

June 4th, 2015 09:00

You would be able to use the RHEL 7 version of OMSA on the server.

Download the file, and then CD to the directory the tar.gz is downloaded.

From there run tar -zxvf on the file to unzip.

Logged in as root, tun ./setup.sh and follow the instructions provided. 

Now with OMSA, there are occurrences where it won't see the Storage element until after the reboot.

Let me know how it goes, and if you can see storage without a reboot.

4 Posts

June 8th, 2015 06:00

I'm not sure if this is going to work because in this .gz I can see RPM for RHEL 6 and 7. I don't see RHEL 5 and even less any documents about support of CentOS 5. 

This is an example what I'm talking about, an error message from a test centos 5.11 machine:

Unrecognized / Unsupported Operating System or Architecture. This script cannot

continue with the installation. Select rpms from the OS folder in
     the media that closely matches this Operating System to continue
     with the manual install.

• 

8.5K Posts

June 11th, 2015 12:00

Ikomlenac,

You may need to change the etc/redhat-release file to match the name of the redhat version. This will cause OMSA to see it as RHEL.

4 Posts

June 12th, 2015 01:00

CentOS release 5.11 (Final)
/etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.11 (Final)

This is what I get from my test machine, what to wright instead of "CentOS release 5.11 (Final)" ?

No Events found!