Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2014 15:00

Dell T610 running vmware

Hi Everyone,

I have a Dell T610 that I just added two 600gb HDDs  to. I am having trouble getting the vmware to recognize the two new drives.. I restarted the vm controller but it still does not see the drives when I go to configuration and storage and rescann all. I am new to vmware so I am lost on what to do next.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 4th, 2014 16:00

No, the PERC will support up to 64 Virtual Disks (arrays) ... they can be in their own RAID 1, separate from the existing RAID ?.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Reboot the server and wait until you see the CTRL-R prompt for the PERC (note which controller model you have) ... it will show you on the main (VD MGMT) screen how many VD's you have, which disks are members of that VD, and the RAID level configured (left-hand side).

10 Posts

Hoping for redundant 600 gb space

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Ok, then in CTRL-R, on the VD MGMT screen, you need to highlight the controller (top-left), hit F2, Create/New ... be sure to check the Advanced/Initialize boxes (leave all others at defaults).

10 Posts

Can I add the two drives to an existing Raid or will I have to create a new one?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

You said you want to configure them "similarly" to how the others are configured, but without first knowing how they are configured, it's hard to say :)

Are you hoping for two 600GB stores (1.2TB), or are you wanting the data to be protected (redundant), giving you 600GB of total space?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Not a VMware question ... it is a server hardware question.  If you are using the PERC 6/i or H700, then keep in mind that they do not support non-RAID/JBOD, meaning they must be configured and initialized in a RAID array on the controller before they can be presented to the OS.  Are you wanting to mirror the two drives in a RAID 1 or are you wanting to use them as separate/individual drives?  If separate/individual, you'll need to create a single-disk RAID 0 for each drive in the CTRL-R utility for the controller during POST.

10 Posts

Once I get there how do I add the two new ones?

10 Posts

I'm not sure how the other three drives are configured. How do I get to the utility to see how the others are setup? I have no additional space on the vm's. I want to set these two drives up similar to the other three drives and add them as storage space on my vm's.

No Events found!