Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2013 02:00

Disk failure on SAS 6/iR Adapter - basic questions

Hi,

I've just had a disk failure on a T300 with a SAS 6/iR Adapter configured with Raid 1 on a single virtual disk. I'm new to this, so would appreciate a bit of basic advice on resolving this.

I've ordered a replacement disk of the same type. From what I've read so far, I simply need to remove the failed drive, boot the system and the array should spot the new drive and bring it into the virtual disk. Is that correct, or is there some manual intervention required?

Secondly, how can I tell which drive has failed, so that I replace the right one? The system is reporting a single physical disk, 0:1. I guess this means that 0:0 has failed. When I open the chassis, is there a way I can determine which of the two installed disks is which?

Are there any other issues I should watch out for?

Thanks for your time, and sorry for asking such basic questions,

Kevin

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 14th, 2013 06:00

ONLY shut down the system if it does not have a hot-swappable drive bay (drives accessible in trays from the front of the machine) ... if the drives are accessible from the front, then you need to do the replacement 'hot' (simply pull the failed drive, then insert the replacement).

Assuming (for the moment) that you do not have a hot-swap setup, you should find the cables inside labeled as HDD0, HDD1, etc., so you should be able to locate drive 0:0 fairly easily.

In many cases, the drive will automatically begin the rebuild, but you will want to confirm this, which you can do either in the CTRL-C utility during POST or from the OS using OpenManage Server Administrator (OMSA).  I would recommend OMSA ... if you don't have it installed, you can (and should) install it.  What OS are you running?

5 Posts

July 15th, 2013 17:00

Thanks for the answer, sounds like it should be simple enough. Not hot swappable, by the way, so it will be the second option. And yes, OMSA is installed and I've been using it. This is Windows Server 2008 R2

5 Posts

July 16th, 2013 11:00

Okay, new drive arrived today and installed, but it hasn't added itself to the virtual disk automatically. In OMSA I am now seeing under Storage/SAS 6/iR Adapter "Connector 0" and "Connector 1". Under "Connector 0" I have my Physical disk showing, 0:1, the original disk that hadn't failed. Clicking on "Connector 1" give me an information screen with "No task available" being the only option selectable under "Connector Tasks".

I also have two other noted under the SAS node, Firmware (info only) and Virtual Disks. The latter has a Create Virtual Disk Wizard button, and Virtual Disk 0, showing as degraded in the list below. Only available task is "Delete"

Not sure what I need to do now to add the new disk to the existing virtual disk?

5 Posts

July 16th, 2013 12:00

I think I might have a problem on the controller. I removed the new disk and put it in slot 2. It then showed up in OSMA, though I failed miserably to add it to the virtual disk. I then tried adding the supposedly failed disk in slot 3. It showed up on a reboot and was part of the virtual disk, but not synced.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 16th, 2013 12:00

You replaced the drive already, making sure both the data and the power connectors were attached to the new drive, and you don't see it in your list of Physical Disks?  Go to Storage, PERC, Virtual Disks, Assign Hot Spare from dropdown ... does it list the drive as available to set as hot spare?

5 Posts

July 16th, 2013 13:00

I'm now seeing disks 0:1, 0;2 and 0:3 -

0:1 is the non-failed disk,

0:2 is the new disk - it's currently not being used, but has an option to set as global hot spare

0:3 is the disk I thought had failed (originally in 0:0). It is not rebuilding

Once 0:3 has rebuilt, I might take the system down and put the new disk in 0:0, just to confirm it is not available from there.

Kevin

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 16th, 2013 13:00

Slow down ...

Put the original good drive (0:1?) in slot 1, REMOVE the original failed drive (0:0?), put the replacement in slot 0 (this can actually be any slot - just make sure you have the originally failed drive removed and that you can boot the OS, etc.), then assign 0:1 (or whatever ID you have the new/replacement drive in) as a hot-spare.

No Events found!