Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2005 08:00

Does a terminator on SCSI LVD2 cable between backplane and motherboard matter?

Hello,

I have problems with booting up the Windows 2000 server system. Installation works fine, system hangs on the Windows family logo page (after finishing text based installation).

The PowerEdge 2300 is not RAID equipped, just 1x6 U2W LVD scsi board controller. Since I do not have a short 68-pin cable (just with two ends - one for the backplane, second for the motherboard), i plugged in a normal SCSI 68-pin cable from PE1300, that can host 5 devices and has a terminator on one end. Using this cable I can see all drives in CTRL-A utility, I can format drive and I can perform text based installation of windows 2000 without any complications.

However, when it starts graphic based part of the installation, it always hangs on the white screen with blue Windows Family logo and "starting up" progress in zero.

My question is: could this be a problem of the scsi cable between motherboard and backplane? Is it the terminator that causes this problem?

Thanks Paul

9.3K Posts

October 8th, 2005 10:00

The terminator might be the problem. Most LVD cables with terminators on them can have the terminator removed (non-permanently). You may want to check if yours can be removed (w/o having to cut it off or so).

720 Posts

October 14th, 2005 16:00

Paul,

The terminator could indeed be causing problems, as the backplane is providing termination itself, you have double termination.

Use P/N 1477R to connect the BP to the embedded controllers on the M/B, and P/N 2477R to reach to a controller card. Spare parts at dell should be able to provide the cables.

warwizard

24 Posts

October 14th, 2005 17:00

Thanks for suggestions. As a matter of fact I tried last weekend a different SCSI 68pin cable - this was was used for connecting backplane in Compaq ProLiant ML350 G3 with its motherboard. It has only two ends, no terminator and is designed for U320 speed. Even with this one the same problems. I tried to disconnect both integrated SCSI ports in bios and plugged in PCI slot Adaptec 2960 SCSI card for harddisk and cdrom - didnt work either! Im stucked . Any other idea ? Oh.. one more thing, Dell representative suggested that I should try to install different OS - Windows 2003 installation took 18 hrs to get to the point, where you have to specify serial number key... thats not normal! what might be causing this speed? because it might as well be the problem with Windows 2000 splash screen, the Dell is not frozen, just unbelievably slow..

thanks paul

720 Posts

October 14th, 2005 20:00

Hi Kulicek,

Already called in, then post your svc tag and I can look at what's been done as far as T/S goes.

How many hard drives do you have and how much system RAM.

Some ideas...

#1, if system ram is 64 M/B (P/N 19095) adding more memory should help. (system is using page file space on the hard drive for kernal memory, 1000 times slower than main memory) There are 4 memory slots, and there is no memory interleve on the PE2300, so a single larger DIMM could be bought (PC100). Look at the minimum and recommended system specs for W2k3.

#2, You could have a device on the SCSI bus that is mis behaving, BP or drive. get a 68 pin drive from that PE1300 and connect it using the power drop for the TBU, use the cable from the PE1300 and see if it will run fast.

Well I've got to go, I'll check the forums a couple of times over the weekend but will not be able to review logs till monday.

warwizard

24 Posts

October 14th, 2005 22:00

PH2H6.

I already tried several combinations: including completely disconnected backplane (both cables from the motherboard), disconnected tape device, turned off com and lpt ports in bios (A14 and also A15, tested both), ESM firmware A40. Nothing

HDD from PE1300 was tried connected to both SCSI controllers onboard, when that didnt help, I turned off integrated SCSI controllers and plugged in PCI Adaptec 29160 SCSI card. Nothing, the same result.

at all times system was equipped with 2 x 128 MB ECC PC100 SDRAM that came from PE 1300. Seated in A and B slots.

:smileysad:

paul

24 Posts

October 16th, 2005 19:00

no, i dont have. It came as a barebone server just with drivers and motherboard. I plugged in also CPU Pentium III 500 MHz from another PE1300 (at one time tried also with Pentium II at 400 MHz).

720 Posts

October 16th, 2005 19:00

Do you have the original memory for the PE2300?

720 Posts

October 17th, 2005 19:00

Hi Kulicek,

This server was sold in the EU and I cannot pull up the history. The P/N 19097 memory (128 M/B) from the PE1300 should work fine, however the original system board was a "BX", and I cannot tell if the system board replacement the system had in '01 sent a "BX" or a "GX" system board. See if you can find the system board part number, as well as the p/n for the proc module.

warwizard

24 Posts

October 17th, 2005 20:00

the board is definately 440BX, it says so at the boot screen and I believe it is also displayed in BIOS settings. It came without CPU to my hands, so I cant tell you the part number of the CPU, but I tested in this board two different CPUs that worked pretty well in PE1300. If its any of help, one was Pentium III 500 Mhz and the second Pentium II at 400 MHz, both Slot1 types. Are there any more data that I could pull together for you, that you do not have to read bits & pieces from my side?

Immense thanks for your unnerving patience to help me out.

paul

24 Posts

October 18th, 2005 21:00

alright, I will be sure to do this. Thats one of the things that I havent done yet. I just simply thought that if server boots up with some CPU and displays this CPU frequency, that its OK. But I will check the jumpers.

Thanks, I will let you know if this solved my mysterious problems.

Paul

720 Posts

October 18th, 2005 21:00

Kulicek,

The original BX motherboard initially supported only up to the 400 MHz, and I *think* with BIOS update would support 450 MHz, try puting the 400 MHz Pentium II in the system (be sure to set the jumpers for this speed proc) and see it that solves the speed problem.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/scham/html/en/ug/techspec.htm

"single or dual Intel Pentium II microprocessor with an internal operating frequency of 333, 350, or 400 MHz and an external operating frequency of 66 MHz (333 MHz) or 100 MHz (350 or 400 MHz)."

warwizard 

24 Posts

October 21st, 2005 19:00

Im afraid I have bad news: the jumpers were in the rights positions all the time, meaning once is set to PASSWD and the second to 400 Mhz. I checked twice, I tried two different CPUs, both running at 400 MHz.

I know that you had lots of ideas, but if you had another one, I might use it as well

Thanks you, and have a nice weekend.

paul

720 Posts

October 23rd, 2005 02:00

Paul,

It's time to use the performance monitor (admistrative tools in control panel) to see what is happening (proc, memory , hard drives, find out which one is causing the really slow performance).

warwizard

24 Posts

October 23rd, 2005 14:00

I would like to, the bad point is, im not that far - neither Windows 2000 or Windows 2003 server installations were finished yet. I thought about purchasing a second PE2300 and replace the boards, if it is that. What do you think? could be (based on the symptoms described until now) some part or feature on the board? Paul

720 Posts

October 24th, 2005 14:00

Are you using the embedded video? Try throwing a PCI based video card into it.

We've ruled out the proc and the hard drives, and you're using compatable memory. If a video card does not resolve it, then it will likely be something on the M/B. (Assuming you're specifying the video driver in the install).

warwizard

No Events found!