Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2011 10:00

Expanding Volume on Raid 1 drives when adding larger disk

I have a Dell PE R300 Windows 2003 with a SAS 6/iR controller and  300GB mirror drives.  The current configuration has 2 volumes OS and a Data.  I have replaced the 300 GB drives with 450 GB and I am trying to figure how I can utilize the addition space for the data volume or create an addition volume.

Server Administrator (Ver 5.4) is showing the Capacity as 418 GB, Used RAID Disk space as 278 GB and Available RAID Disk Space as 0.00 GB.

Any suggestion would be appreciated..

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 11th, 2011 10:00

You cannot do this with a SAS 5/6 card, as it does not support RAID "slices" ... the PERC's do but the "SAS" cards do not.  You will need to backup, delete the array, create a new one to encompass the entire disk space, then restore.  

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 11th, 2011 11:00

In fact, the "online expansion" feature of the PERC's is also not designed to "expand" an array's capacity by swapping smaller drives out for larger drives.  Online Expansion is designed to expand the array "online" by ADDING disks to the array.  For example, you would reconfigure a two-disk RAID 1 to a three-disk RAID 5, a three-disk RAID 5 to a 5-disk RAID 5, etc.  "Slices" (multiple arrays across the same set of disks) is the only option on a PERC when not adding disks and simply swapping smaller drives for larger ones.

No Events found!