Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2016 12:00

Getting (5) different SAS Errors for over a year. Finally noticed after a RAID 1 drive died and the replacement drive will not go ready. Is it my controller??

Just noticed the Windows logs for my PERC 6/iR have been reporting these errors nearly every day for a year, is my controller bad?  If so that's highly unfortunate as it's integrated.

1.)   Unexpected sense. SCSI sense data: Sense key:  3 Sense code: 11 Sense qualifier:  1:  Physical Disk 0:0:0 Controller 0, Connector 0

2.)   SAS port report: SAS wide port 0 lost link on PHY 0.:  Controller 0 (SAS 6/iR Integrated) 

3.)   Predictive Failure reported:  Physical Disk 0:0:0 Controller 0, Connector 0

4.)   (MOST RECURRING ERROR):   A disk media error has been corrected.:  Virtual Disk 0 (Virtual Disk 0) Controller 0 (SAS 6/iR Integrated)

5.)   Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2016 16:00

Hello.

Besides the Windows logs, what is the status of the  Virtual Disk (VD) and Physical Disk 0:0:0 in the controller BIOS or the OpenManage Server Administrator? If the predictive failure status is persistently being reported, then you may consider replacing the Physical Disk 0:0:0. If the replaced drive is offline, try to force if online via the BIOS controller. Ensure that you BIOS and controller firmware is up to date.

11 Posts

June 23rd, 2016 01:00

The SCSI sense data points to "Medium Error - read retries exhausted"

-Take a full backup

-Offline disk 0:0

-Replace disk 0:0

-Let it rebuild

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 27th, 2016 09:00

Fantastic! Let us know when you have any more questions

10 Posts

June 27th, 2016 09:00

Virtual Disk was Degraded.  Ultimately rebooted into the RAID Controller BIOS (Ctrl-C) and the only option available for that drive was to "Resynchronize" which we did, and an hour later the resync complete and the VD was healthy. 

No Events found!