Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2013 07:00

Hard Disk not detected on the PowerEdge 1850

Hi Guys,

A little help for a person who is not all that great wit servers!

I have a Dell PowerEdge 1850, I'm trying to install a CentOS based operating system on it! but the problem is after the system booths from the CD it doesn't recognize the Hard Disks.

I tried a couple of windows based operating systems as well, but none of them seem to recognize the Hard Disks.

I cant find the RAID and the hard disk controls from the BIOS or any where else. 

• 

8.4K Posts

Earthplug,

With an 1850 you should have a Perc 4 installed. When you boot do you get a CTRL-M prompt for a Poweredge Expandable Raid Controller? If so, use that to access the controller. If you don't see the CTRL-M prompt then go to the BIOS (F2) and under Integrated Devices verify that Embedded Raid is enabled.

Let me know how it goes.

I am going to send you an email to get the scv tag, so we can see what should be installed.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

The PERC does NOT support non-RAID, so you MUST configure RAID BEFORE attempting to install an OS, or even with the right drivers, no disks can be seen.  This is done, as Chris said, in CTRL-M - the configuration utility for the PERC (when enabled in the BIOS).

• 

8.4K Posts

July 18th, 2013 09:00

I am not seeing a Raid controller in that order. This is the driver for the SCSI adapter. If you hit F6 at the blue install screen for windows, you can load this driver and the install should continue.

SCSI Driver.- www.dell.com/.../poweredge-1850

March 21st, 2019 08:00

Hi Chris. You sound extremely knowledgeable and I hope you can shed some light on my problem. I have a Power Edge 1850 rack server that I recently purchased for peanuts and decided to work on it. I only have a few OS options as I stopped working with Win products many moons ago. Although there are 2 scsi swapable hard drives installed the system will not recognize them. I read on your post that I must first initialize the drives using the controller by using control-M at first boot.The problem is control-m does not bring up anything. The only options I have is F2, F10, or F12. I'm pretty sure there is NO perc 4 installed and I did download the lates Perc from Dell but making it bootable is impossible because the Dell software that comes with it does not seem to want to work. Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong! I know that without updating the Perc I won't be able to get the machine to recognize the hard drives so my initial question would be, how the heck do I create a bootable USB or even a CD with the proper Perc? By the way, I tried that option as well. Am I missing something? Thanks Ed
No Events found!