Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2012 08:00

Hard disk firmware mis-match

Hello all,

Hoping somebody may be able to help me out here.  I have a poweredge 2800 with 4x73GB drives in raid 5.  One of the drives failed and the replacement drives I've procured have a different firmware rev and subsequently show up as having .50GB less capacity than the other drives.

Because of this discrepancy it won't perform a rebuild w\ the drives in their current state.  Not sure if I can flash the firmware on the drive or not.. am waiting to hear back from Hitachi support. 

Am also running into issues w\ booting the system.  In order to boot the system I have to enter the raid config through bios and set the failed drive to 

990 Posts

October 25th, 2012 08:00

Good morning,

Are the replacement drives from the same manufacturer?  All it takes is 1 byte difference to cause the array not to rebuild.  Not all manufacturers measure the size of their drives the same.  If it is off, the array will not rebuild. The drive must be exactly the same size or larger for the array to rebuild properly.

Regards,

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

October 25th, 2012 09:00

The drives are Hitachi DK32DJ-72MC 73GB U320 scsi drives.  The server had 4 of the drives w\ firmware revision AAAA.  I didn't even consider fw version when purchasing assuming the disk size would be the same.  The ones I recieved are same model but firmware REV D4D4.

The 3 fw rev AAAA drives show up in openmanage array manager as being 68.75GB and the REV D4D4 shows up as 68.24GB.

990 Posts

October 25th, 2012 10:00

I have checked both our site and Hitachi's and came up empty with any firmware updates for their drives. I also checked on Western Digital's site as well, since they now own Hitachi drives and didn't locate any here as well.

The only workaround would be to locate a larger drive  to get around the error without the firmware updates.  

Regards,

No Events found!