Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

April 3rd, 2022 10:00

Help with RAID 1 on Perc H310

Our RAID 1 had a failed drive, which we replaced with a similar drive (same brand, model). But now when I check in the configuration utility, it shows the new drive as Ready and the old (working) drive as "foreign"? How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance.

• 

4.1K Posts

April 3rd, 2022 19:00

Hi, thanks for choosing Dell. I hope this helps.

https://dell.to/3K4VqeL

3 Posts

April 4th, 2022 06:00

Sorry but it didn't. Looks like the issue is worse than I anticipated. The virtual disk worked for a minute, but now it is showing as "degraded". The old drive is now showing as Ready (Foreign) and the new drive is showing as (Online). Shouldn't it be the opposite?

I need to retrieve some data from the old working drive. Is it possible to connect it to a PC using a SATA-to-USB adapter to achieve this?

• 

3.7K Posts

April 4th, 2022 07:00

Hello atlarep,

Are you saying you cannot access the virtual disk?

A RAID1 with one missing/failed disk should still be functioning in a degraded state and you should be able to read the data to make a backup. Connecting to a SATA-to-USB does not work in this case. 

With the replacement drive showing online sounds like it was rebuilt into the array. Can you confirm this?

If you are able to access the data on the array and the replacement drive is online then you can Clear Foreign drive.

Can you attach some pictures of what you are seeing?

3 Posts

Hi Charlie,

Are you saying you cannot access the virtual disk?

That's correct. 

A RAID1 with one missing/failed disk should still be functioning in a degraded state and you should be able to read the data to make a backup.

That is what I thought at first, but I don't have that option as it won't boot windows.

The old (working) drive shows as (Foreign) Ready.

The replacement drive shows as Online in the configuration utility.

I am not in front of the server at the moment.

• 

3.7K Posts

Hello atlarep,

You need to Import the old working drive. If you are in the controller BIOS there may be a Foreign View tab and you can import from that tab or on the first tab VD Mgmt, select the controller at the top of the list, press F2 and choose the Foreign Config and Import from there.

When you get back to the system please take some pictures and post so we can see what you see.

You can try the SATA-to-USB to see if you can get it mounted and copy data. I have not used that method.

If you need this data and don't have a backup you may consider a Data Recovery Company.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 4th, 2022 08:00

You won't be able to mount it with a USB adapter - you will need a PERC to read the RAID metadata in order to mount it.

Take the "new" drive out, then IMPORT the foreign configuration from the old drive.

If you clear it at this point, recover becomes difficult.

No Events found!