Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2010 07:00

How to fix degraded Virtual Disk on PERC 3/Di

The Dell OpenManage Server Administrator indicates that I have a degraded Virtual Disk.  I replaced the failed drive, but the virtual disk only shows that it has one drive in the array.  I can see the new disk on Channel 0 with a status of Ready, but I can't figure out how to add it to the virtual disk that is in a degradded state.  I've tried assigining it as a Global Hot Spare, but I wasn't able to add the disk to the degraded Virtual Disk using the Assign/Unassign Dedicated Hot Spare task.

So I'm stuck..

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 12th, 2010 10:00

Normally, a rebuild will begin automatically, but for a few reasons (firmware level, etc.), it may not.  Assigning HS is the correct way to do this, but if this is not working, then one of two things is happening:

1)  Drive is not compatible with the array.  This could be because the drive is too small (even 1K difference will cause this, and all manufacturers/models can vary).  Could be a different class of drive - U160 vs U320 - this is not usually a problem, but can be on older systems/controllers/drives with older firmware.

2)  Your array may be corrupt and the controller knows it cannot rebuild a drive.  Normally, this would at least start a rebuild, then fail, but can, at times, cause the rebuild not to start at all.

When you assign HS, does it just stay as a HS, or does something happen?  Have you tried this just in OpenManage or in the CTRL-A BIOS utility as well?  What exactly happened that caused you to replace a drive?  Did you also test the drive(s)?

No Events found!