Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2013 20:00

Install Intel SSD 520 as extra internal drive in Dell Power Edge 840 SAS 5IR Internal RAID adapter PCI-Express with a SAS5iR SATA/SAS Controller to support two drives in RAID 1

We are attempting to install an Intel SSD 520 series as an additional internal drive (not part of the RAID)  in our  Poweredge 840 

Server 2003 Small Business Edition is running on SAS 5IR Internal RAID adapter PCI-Express with a SAS5iR SATA/SAS Controller to support two drives in RAID 1  

I installed the Intel SSD 520 on the open SATA 0 port and powered it up and the system did not recognize it.  THe Intel SSD toolbox also did not recognize it.  

IT doesn't show up in hardware config either.

Any idea how to get it to be recognized other than installing it as a USB3.0 external drive?

We intend on using it for short term projects that have excessive read/write access.  Then run the Intel SSD tool box on it to clean it up/maintain it.  No intention of running OS on the SSD drive.

Thank you for your help!

Mark

• 

8.8K Posts

September 24th, 2013 06:00

Mark,

The 840 doesn't support SSD technology. If you use a standard SATA drive you would need to enable the SATA port in the BIOS.

Let me know if this helps.

September 24th, 2013 09:00

Chris,

Thank you for your reply.  From what I've read the Intel SSD Toolbox utilities will allow you to prolong the SSD life as it has a makeshift TRIM command and drive health assessment.  Not recommended for critical data, but short term projects should be fine - my take anyway. 

Is it possible to run the SATA port from BIOS while still having the system run off the RAID card?

Didn't know if they are mutually exclusive or not.

Any idea how to enable the SATA port in the BIOS?  Surprised its not on by default.

Thank you,

Mark

No Events found!