Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2013 12:00

No disk drive found???

i have the poweredge 1800 and it says that it cant find any disk drives after i took two of them out and i cant then install the os please help me i am using scsi

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 9th, 2013 12:00

What OS are you trying to install?

Which RAID controller are you using?

2 Posts

March 9th, 2013 13:00

i'm trying to install Windows XP i have RAID 1 and RAID 5

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 9th, 2013 13:00

No client OS (XP) is supported on any Dell server, so there will not be drivers made specifically for XP to run on an 1800.  That doesn't mean it won't work, just that it is up to you to find drivers and to troubleshoot any issues that arise during the install or after it is installed.  There may exist some incompatibilities that will make it an unreliable system.

Assuming you are using some flavor of a PERC 4 to manage the RAID 1 and RAID 5, you will need to try the driver for Server 2003:

ftp.dell.com/.../perc-cerc-w2k3-6.46.2.32-A05.exe

You need to download this file, then run it to extract the contents.  Once extracted, those files can then be used on a floppy disk at the F6 prompt during Windows Setup, or you can use nLiteOS.com to integrate the drivers into your installation media.

You say RAID 1 and RAID 5 ... are they already set up on the PERC or is that just what you want to have?  It MUST be configured before attempting an install.

January 5th, 2014 11:00

I had the same issue when trying to install an old release of WS2K3 on a Dell PowerEdge 2850 server.  My problems arose from the drivers for this particular machine's Adaptec 2120S SCSI RAID controller not being listed Dell's driver site nor bundled with this release of Windows Server.  I downloaded the Microsoft certified drivers from Adaptec.com onto a floppy disk and installed them using the F6 installation option ; the rest of the installation went without a hitch.

I suppose that there are more than a few hardware variants, some less popular than others. Check the BIOS boot screen to make sure you are obtaining the correct drivers for the peripherals onboard.

All The Best.

No Events found!