Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 17th, 2012 18:00

PE2800 Raid 5 degraded

We have a 2880 with perc and 2 arrays. 2 scsi drives in raid 1 for OS and an 7 drive raid 5 plus 1 hot spare (we thought). Recently we started getting flashing ambers one indicating a drive failure and another indicating predictive failure. Server runs a netware file server. When we went into the configuration, it showed raid 5 in degraded state with no. 3 drive failed and and no hot spare but no. 5 drive "online". When we try to set no. 5 as hot spare it goes into a failed state and no. 3 goes into " online". I assume this means that both this means that both 3 and 5 are failed besides the drive in predicted failure mode. We do have one spare drive. Would I now be able to hot swap one of the drives? If so which one?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 17th, 2012 18:00

A little confused ... can you list out each of your drives and their status (CTRL-M, Configure, View/Add (disk view, if prompted))?  Not sure exactly what you are seeing.  Also, setting a drive as a HS should not change the status of another drive from failed to online.  Online should first require a rebuild ... if it were actually failed.

4 Posts

March 18th, 2012 19:00

Sorry, will look at it again tomorrow. Maybe what I saw when I first looked went into the ctrl-m bios application was 0,1,2, Online, 3 "Ready", 4 Online, 5 Failed, 6 and 7 Online. We then selected 3, and set it to Hot Spare. We rebooted the server and noticed that Drive 3 was now blinking a fail and drive 5 was green. Went into ctrl-m bios again and now drive 3 is Failed and drive 5 is Ready.

• 

166 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 01:00

Hi blukanu

How's your server? Is everything ok now?

Do update us please.

From ctrl + m, have you check from View from NVRAM and View from Disk? Are both set of configuration the same?

Are you still seeing this:-

0,1,2,4,6,7 online

3 failed

5 ready

Let us know please.

No Events found!