Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2009 20:00

Perc 4/DI ( Raid 5 setup ) 1 disk failed after unplanned shutdown.

Hi, I was shutting down my raid 5 based server machine to move the whole case , and the shutdown process got stuck for some reason and I had to manually shutdown the server through the power button because I didn't have any other options. when I restarted it came back on fine but now one of the five disks in the raid5 setup says " it failed " ...  I right clicked on that specific disk and  tried to rebuild but was unsuccessful , tried the consistency check and gave me an error also forced the failed disk to go online , it went online then after a few seconds it goes back to failed status .. what's going on here ? Do I need to be replaced , is it out sync !!

I took a screenshot below of the Dell Array Manager and you can see the failed disk does have a target ID and its on the array , so im really confused whether the HD is not working at all or if its but something went wrong ?

screenshot :
http://i37.tinypic.com/14462d0.jpg

Help appreciated.

Thanks

946 Posts

November 6th, 2009 09:00

Sorry I should have been more clear.  When you assign the hotspare to the VD it will act as a hotspare for any drive in that VD.  So any drive that fails will rebuild to the HS as long as it is available.

946 Posts

November 6th, 2009 08:00

Have you tried to reseat the disk to see if a rebuild will start?  It may be just that the disk needs to be replaced.

5 Posts

Hi , actually that what I did end up doing and yes the rebuild did start after I reseated the drive , so I guess it was out of sync or something . I'm also getting a hot spare one .. now my question is since I have 5 disks working in that raid 5 , can I assign them all to that ONE hotspare one or I can only assign one disk to that hot spare ?

946 Posts

You should be able to right click on the virtual disk and assign the hotspare to the VD.

5 Posts

correct but is it possible to assign all 5 HD's to that single hot spare and then which one fails first it will be rebuild on that spare one ? that's what I meant in my previous reply.

thanks

5 Posts

Beautiful , that's exactly the answer i was looking for. thank you for your help Dennis.

5 Posts

November 9th, 2009 11:00

Hi Dennis,

I received a warning msg from the server that another RAID disk failed this past sunday , so that's like 3-4 days after the first incident. first of all its a different drive not the same one , again alll I did is re-seat  and it started rebuilding and everything is back to normal ... do you think it might be the battery or maybe the raid controller is dying ? I did check the battery status and it did say " Needs Replacement " .  Does a bad battery causes drives to go out of sync or go offline for a split second even when the system is running 24/7 and cause the raid array to degrade ?

No Events found!