Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

3 Posts

November 28th, 2018 16:00

Perc H700 Lost its VD Config

Hi All,

Looking for a little guidance to "attempt" resolution for an issue in one of our lab servers.  Firstly, there is no back up, the data on it is not critical, just annoying if we lose it (it hosts a vmware esxi server and storage for app demo purposes).

What happened, Some of the VM's started to fail an vCenter was reporting disk failures. Fearing the worst as the server is remote from me (!!), I forced a reboot, as expected, it hasn't come back!

I've had one of the team look at the server and ALL disk lights are solid green (unexpected!!), but in the H700 Perc it's showing "No configuration present" in the VD Mgmt page.

Foreign View Does show the old disk config (RAID 10) - 4 disks 146gb each SPAN 0 + SPAN 1.

In PD Mgmt, all drives show "Foreign".

Next thing I'm looking to see is if we can IMPORT the foreign config and start again.

I suspect there will be a drive failing somewhere, but was very surprised to see the lost config instead, if we can get it back online long enough to attempt to vmotion the servers away, we'll replace any failing drives.

Tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Anthony..

• 

8.5K Posts

November 29th, 2018 07:00

PartTimeAnthony,

You are correct in your assumptions, you will indeed need to IMPORT the Foreign Configuration, which would import the configuration from the drives. Once you import you should see the Virtual Disk configuration return, with a single drive rebuilding. 

To answer why it did it in the first place we would need to get the logs for the server, but I would suggest also to update the server to current on BIOS, iDrac, and Raid controller, as that will minimize the issues you can run into.

Let me know if this helps.

December 2nd, 2018 17:00

Thanks Chris,

The drive came back online and "rebuilt" from the mirror span, but there are other ongoing issues (VMFS corruption it seems).

The firmware for all the hardware needs updating, but cannot get it to do it via the iDRAC at all, will probably have to get someone physically in front of the machine with the services image I think!

• 

8.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2018 10:00

What version are you seeing for BIOS, iDrac, Lifecycle Controller, as well as the H700?

December 3rd, 2018 15:00

it'll probably be the versions it shipped with (as an OEM device):

BIOS Version
Firmware Version (iDRAC) 1.70 (Build 21)  
Lifecycle Controller Firmware 1.5.0.671

• 

8.5K Posts

December 4th, 2018 06:00

What driver and firmware are the H700 at, also what server is this on?

No Events found!