Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2014 21:00

Perc H710 Raid Configuration through Lifecycle controller

Hello,

So i am not too sure what I did but today I added 3 more 500 gig sas drives to my PE 720 16 bay server. I have 4x 300 gig 15k drives in there configured to raid 10 and have the OS installed on that Virtual Disk which is Virtual Disk 0. Then I have 2x 500 gig SATA drives configured in raid 1 for virtual disk 1. The 3 drives I added today were going to be Virtual Disk 3. 

For some reason I configured the raid in the lifecycle controller config screen instead of entering the raid setup utility through the bios screen on bootup. The raid config screen did look different but I just thought it was the same thing. So i configured the drives to raid 5 and selected the 3 new drives and rebooted the server. I made sure it was the correct drives because it raid 1:8 1:9 and 1:10 or something like that and those were the numbers of the bays the drivers were in. when i rebooted , i got the foreign configuration error and i just pushed any key to continue and then my system did not boot. I rebooted and this time pushed f to import the foreign config and then the system booted fine but I lost some data on my Raid 1. so this time i rebooted and instead of pushing f, i pushed "c" to enter some other old looking raid config utility and i saw that my raid 1 only had 1 disk configured. so I clicked on the other one to rebuild it and it was successful but my data still was not there on the raid 1 drives. 

I dont know what happened but I ended up wiping the drives and starting over because I did have backups. Can anyone explain?

Thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

February 17th, 2014 08:00

MattLakeshore,

It sounded like it could be a couple things Such as. Within the LifeCycle controller, it oddly wasn't written to the Raid controller with the proper Identification, so it got flagged as a foreign. Now here is the question. Did you look and see what the arrays/drives were showing before importing the foreign? Such as was it a drive or 2 or the whole array flagged as foreign? 

Another possibility is that the raid configuration in the Lifecycle controller, when created, flagged itself as the bootable array, and not the OS array. So when you rebooted it found the new empty array and didn't allow a boot. Then when you went to the controller it had flagged a foreign configuration, now if that was a single drive that was foreign and the array was indeed bootable, With the bootable flag moved back to the OS array. Then when the foreign drive was imported it corrupted the data, causing the loss of data you are referring to.  

Let me know if this helps.

February 17th, 2014 11:00

it could be that what you are saying is correct. I did not look at the drives before importing to foreign but i did notice that when i was in the lifecycle controller it only showed me the 2 mirrored drives and the 3 new drives that i put in and it let me select all 5 for some reason but i didnt. i only selected the new 3. it didnt show me the 4 original drives that have the os on it. was very strange. 

I dont know what happened, but either way the lesson i learned is to only configure drives in the Raid controller setup utility. 

Thanks anyway

No Events found!