Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2013 09:00

PowerEdge R210 SAS6iR RAID not surpassing 2TB.

Today I replaced 2x 2TB HDDs in RAID 1 array to 3TB but the RAID BIOS seemed to only see 2TB.

I tried searching for any information on the RAID card, but it is very little info.

All I know is that it is either a SAS6iR or a JW063 card, both appear to be the same card. I could not find firmware updates or anything useful other then perhaps that it is a cheap card and that I should look for a PERC 6 card of some type.

I would rather do a firmware upgrade, but if I have to replace the card with something similar but better quality I am fine with that.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Ps, this server is used in a ESXi VMware environment, so it will need to be compatible with that.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

The SAS 6/iR supports a max disk size of 2TB in RAID mode (rumor has it that larger ones work in non-RAID mode), as does the PERC 6/i.

The H200 and H700 are the first controllers to support larger than 2TB physical disks.  

The H200 DOES support migration of VD's from a SAS 6/iR (the H700, apparently, does not), and is on the HCL for ESXi 4.0 and up.

The PERC 6/i and H700 are not officially supported on the R210 either.

• 

8.4K Posts

Drayco,

The next controller up that supports the 3TB drives is the H200 controller, as the H700 is not supported on the R210. For your server you would need part number 342-0730.

Let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

March 12th, 2013 13:00

Is this what you are suggesting to me?  As I do not find anything that looks like a computer component when I search for 342-0730 in Google or on Dell. So I specifically searched for a PERC H200.

www.google.ca/search

The majority of the images show a card with a PCI back plate and a few show a more square card with no plate. For me I would want the plate, which I will need to modify with 2 little eSATA openings as I did to the SAS 6/iR card so that I could connect 2 eSATA disks externally for backup purposes.

I have been reading that this card has issues with slow performance under either its design or incorrect configuration, even my own card the SAS 6/iR suggests they are slow, but I have not noticed.

Oh, from the Google photos they suggest to me that this card can do what my SAS 6/iR can do which is to convert the SAS to SATA, to confirm this card does that too?

Thanks, if all seems as it should be for me needs in the next replies, I will make the purchase as soon as possible.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 12th, 2013 13:00

"I have been reading that this card has issues with slow performance"

Same with the SAS 6/iR, so there probably won't be much difference from what you are used to.

"SAS 6/iR can ... convert SAS to SATA"

Yes, all SAS controllers are backward compatible with SATA drives.

4 Posts

March 14th, 2013 09:00

Ok great, thanks for the help.

I figured SAS could be converted to SATA, just never looked into it to confirm.

I will now go about purchasing a PERC H200 card.

No Events found!