Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2016 17:00

PowerEdge R220 and PERC H710 Compatible?

Hello, I have a client with a PowerEdge R220.  It's currently configured with a pair of 500GB SATA drives attached to the embedded controller (S110).  I'd like to know if it's possible to install a PERC H710 into this model and reconfigure the two drives into a RAID 1 array.  If so, which PERC H710 is recommended  and which cables will I need assuming two drives and no backplane?

Another question.  If I install the PERC controller card into the R220 and install the appropriate H710 drivers into the existing Windows Server 2012 R2 installation, can I then create the RAID 1 array and image the existing drives to the new RAID array or does this process require a complete reinstall of Windows Server?

Thank you for your time and assistance,

R

• 

6.2K Posts

June 19th, 2016 10:00

Hello

I don't know if it is possible to install an H710 into an R220. It is not supported or validated. The only add-on internal PERC that is validated for the R220 is the H310.

If you attempt to install an H710 then make sure it is the adapter version. The R220 does not have a daughter board slot for the integrated version. The cable used with the H310 should work with the H710:

H310 SAS cable for R220: PGKX4

Another question.  If I install the PERC controller card into the R220 and install the appropriate H710 drivers into the existing Windows Server 2012 R2 installation, can I then create the RAID 1 array and image the existing drives to the new RAID array or does this process require a complete reinstall of Windows Server?

Whatever you do at a file system level has nothing to do with the controller. If you image the current drives then you should be able to copy that image to the new RAID array that you create on the H710. The virtual disk of the S110 is not compatible with the H710. Virtual disk migration is not supported between the two controllers. If VD migration was supported then you could simply attach the drives to the H710 and import their array configuration. Page 16 of the H710 manual lists validated migration paths:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/poweredge-rc-h710/manuals

Thanks

2 Posts

June 19th, 2016 11:00

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a thorough answer.  I really appreciate it.

One question I still have is whether or not the PERC H710 adapter will physically fit inside the chassis of the R220.  I'm hoping someone has given it a try and can chime in to let me know before I move forward.

R

1 Message

March 7th, 2017 09:00

Hi RCGAZ,

I was wondering if you have tried the PERC H710 controller solution on your R220.

In such a case, does it work? Have you observed a significant improvement in the performance? Can you give me a simple benchmark test?

Thank you very much!

Alessandro

No Events found!