Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2015 11:00

PowerEdge SSD RAID Options

Hello,

I am looking at building a server configuration and for storage, I would like to look at the below:

• PERC H730P RAID Controller, 2GB NV Cache
  • 2 x 200GB SSD (RAID 1 for Operating System)
  • 4 x 400GB SSD (RAID 10)

I have seen on these forums that this or similar configurations are supported and even saw a whitepaper on Dell's website where a 4-disk SSD RAID 10 was used, but yet my assigned SE just told me that SSD drives in a RAID configuration is not "recommended" by Dell and is instead trying to sell me the SanDisk DAS Cache solution.

Just looking for some confirmation that I can utilize SSD drives in a RAID configuration AND have full Dell support. Thanks in advance to whomever can assist with this.

• 

8.5K Posts

April 14th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

What server model are you looking at? What OS are you going to run on it? If you are using Dell validated SSDs you should not have a problem with that configuration. The controller supports TRIM and should work fine in RAID. If you are using consumer grade SSDs you may have issues.

http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/PowerEdge-RAID-Controller-H730P-Spec-Sheet.pdf

2 Posts

April 14th, 2015 15:00

Thanks Josh.  We are looking at using the R730 and Linux (Red Hat, CentOS, or Ubuntu. Haven't finalized the decision yet). Any issues with this setup?

• 

8.5K Posts

April 14th, 2015 16:00

Those OSes should work fine with the SSDs. I do not see any issues with yor configuration. The only times I have seen problems is with unsupported drives and distros that don't have a driver with HBA mode and no raid cache. With a validated OS and RAID1/10 it should run fine.  

No Events found!