Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

September 29th, 2016 07:00

PowerEdge

Hello, I have a question regarding a dell r320 and a The PERC H710,

The system is currently configured with 2 virtual drives that form a raid 5. Is there away that the OSM manager or windows will allow you to configure the hard drive into the raid 5 array? If not is there away to set the drive up in getting it to be a standalone drive without booting in to the Bios of the machine?

Since the server is remote i have limited options any suggestions would be appreciated

7 Posts

what is interesting it does give me the option to add the "ready drive" as a raid 0 

will that just stripe the raid 0 into the raid 5 array that is already available?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

No, that will create a single-disk RAID 0 with the available drive. 

I didn't understand from your post what exactly you are trying to do, but to add an additional drive to a RAID 5, you need to look for the Reconfigure option in the dropdown menu of Available Tasks for the RAID 5 Virtual Disk.

This can be done from OMSA.

7 Posts

September 29th, 2016 08:00

so if i use the single disk option to create the raid 5 it will just show in windows server as an additional disk without interrupting the data already present on the raid 5?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 29th, 2016 10:00

so if i use the single disk option to create the raid 5

You need to be careful of the words you use. You cannot have a single-disk RAID 5; RAID 5 requires a minimum of 3 disks.

The only valid RAID level for 1 disk is RAID 0, so if you create a single-disk RAID 0, yes, it will be presented to Windows as a separate "disk".

No Events found!