Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 26th, 2013 09:00

Poweredge 2600 PERC not showing on post

Hello all,

Having trouble getting RAID to show on post. Went to BIOS and can't select RAID in "Integrated Devices" only SCSI or OFF. Tried reseating the RAID memory and key. Battery has over 4v in it also. What am I overlooking.

Thanks in advance for your help...

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 26th, 2013 13:00

Typically, if there was an issue with the memory and battery, you would be able to enable RAID in the BIOS - you would just get an error message about the memory/battery state.  A bad RAID key would prevent the system from being able to enable RAID, and since the actual processor/logic for RAID is on the motherboard, if the key was ok (which it rarely fails), then the motherboard would be the most likely culprit.

In order, the most likely:

• Motherboard 90% (most often, the motherboard will be faulty at this point)
  • RAID key 8% (these rarely fail, but since it is what enables ROMB (Raid On MotherBoard), there is a chance)
  • RAID memory 1.9% (rarely memory failures can be "show-stoppers")
  • RAID battery 0.1% (would likely only be a dangerous voltage issue)

Obviously, it is cheaper to try the other components, but they are less likely to fix it.

10 Posts

November 1st, 2013 09:00

FYI Update,

Replaced the RAID Key, battery and Memory and the RAID was back in the BIOS. Problem happened earlier when somehow in the BIOS the option for SCSI or RAID was changed to SCSI. The system ask if we were sure we wanted to change to SCSI TWICE and in a weak moment I answered Yes. That I believe somehow sealed the fate of my system to not change back to RAID till I changed the Key and other items.

Hope this helps somebody.  

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 26th, 2013 10:00

Try clearing the NVRAM.

That is the nature of most hardware problems ... fine one second, failed the next.

This is a hardware issue - Ubuntu could not have done this.  If it is not a hardware failure, then resetting BIOS (NVRAM) or reseating a RAID component should bring it back online.  There is very little else to try. 

Other things to try:

• Remove the power cord, hold power button down for 10 seconds. 
  • Remove any non-standard hardware (expansion cards, etc.).

10 Posts

Was working fine as I installed a RAID 1 and a RAID 5 on it. Then was installing Ubuntu and was asked a couple of questions in setup and rebooted to find that SCSI MPI Bios came up instead. Find it hard to believe it is hardware under that condition. Any other ideas?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

"what am I overlooking?"

Hardware failure.  You will only have the option to enable RAID under Integrated Devices if the RAID hardware is installed and good.  You reseated the RAID key, battery, and memory, so there isn't much left to do.  One of those devices (or the motherboard) is bad and causing the RAID controller to not be recognized.  You might try clearing the NVRAM using the jumpers on the motherboard first.  If you have another 2600 or 2650, you can try swapping parts.

10 Posts

October 26th, 2013 12:00

Well,

I will replace the battery, key and memory for the RAID and hope for the best. Would that be your suggestion?

10 Posts

Ok,

Tried it same results. Is there a diagnostic tool that I can use to test the system? Would it help to run the Systems Build and Update Utility? Thanks again for your help.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

"Is there a diagnostic tool that I can use to test the system?"

Yes, it is called 32-bit Diagnostics, but it most likely would not find any issue.  It certainly couldn't test the RAID controller since it isn't enabled.

"Would it help to run the Systems Build and Update Utility?"

No.  If the RAID controller is not enabled, SBUU can't enable it.  You would have had to enable RAID before booting to SBUU for an OS installation.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 1st, 2013 11:00

"somehow in the BIOS the option for SCSI or RAID was changed to SCSI. The system ask if we were sure we wanted to change to SCSI TWICE and in a weak moment I answered Yes. That I believe somehow sealed the fate of my system to not change back to RAID"

Answering "yes" would NOT have locked the system in SCSI mode (as answering "yes" to changing to RAID mode will not lock it into RAID mode) ... you are free to switch between modes, at will, with NO data loss (despite the scary message - so long as certain disk operations were not performed in that mode).  The fact that it asked at all was just the first sign something had failed.  It is most likely the key that caused/fixed the issue, but it would have been good to determine the exact failure when putting in replacement hardware.

In any case, I'm glad it is back up and running.

No Events found!