August 20th, 2018 16:00

Poweredge R420 Perc H710 Mini Multiple drive failure

PowerEdge R420 Perc H710 Mini

5 drive RAID 5

Drives 0 and 1 Online

2, 3, 4 Failed

5 listed as Foreign

System crashed this afternoon.

Appreciate any advice on where to begin troubleshooting. Skeptical that 3 drives crashed on same day with no history of issues. Drives are Toshiba 136 GB drives.

Thx!

• 

8.4K Posts

August 21st, 2018 05:00

Icoinc,

Let me verify if you have a backup of the data, if not I would suggest taking them to a data recovery company, as any steps we take forward can destroy the data if unsuccessful. Also before I can suggest anything could you confirm the raid configuration/status again, as you listed 6 drives in your description of a 5 drive raid 5?

Thank you. 

3 Posts

August 21st, 2018 09:00

Thx for reply Chris. Sorry typo - there are 6 disks in the RAID.

Data in theory is backed up to cloud. I'm new to this environment so we are in the process of confirming backup to AWS is current. backup is data only. not image of environment.

I reading on other threads that i should swap 0 and 1 drives with 2 and 3 drives to see if failures move with drives or stays put. to determine if drives have failed or if its something else. is this something I should try?

appreciate guidance on best steps.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 21st, 2018 10:00

No the swapping around procedure would be for testing memory dimms, not hard drives. Doing so could cause issues. With what you are describing there is a small chance of recovery, but there is something we can try, but it can further corrupt the data. So if you are at all uncertain of the backup I would take the drives to a data recovery company. If you want to proceed then go ahead and access the controller bios and then IMPORT the foreign on drive #5, then let me know the status of the Physical Disks.

3 Posts

August 21st, 2018 19:00

As 3 drives failed at the same time, we are concerned that the existing non-drive hardware is having issues so we are hesitant to rely on this hardware moving forward. We are sending drives to a recovery company as some data was backed up in a fashion not useable (ie database related). We would have appreciated more guidance in trying to figure out if non-drive hardware issues may have caused the 3 drives to fail at the same time. In some manner that would not put the data at risk. At this point we will wait to learn what recovery data folks have to say about the status of drives we are sending them.

No Events found!