Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

6 Posts

December 18th, 2018 04:00

Poweredge R710 no boot device available

dear Sir, 

I have Server Poweredge R710 running windows Server 2012, we use Raid 6i on. 

Today someone was removed and back the Disk 0 and then the system reboot but dont back again to work! 

the Bios Display : No Boot device available 

Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 to System Setup, F11 for BIOS boot manager.

I was try all option and check the boot sequence and it's okay, but when I got for Perc6 Management I found Disk 0 and Disk 2 as foreign (DisK 1 and Disk 3 are online). 

please how to resolve this problem, the data in is important and  I have no backup. 

Regards.

2.9K Posts

December 18th, 2018 07:00

Hello,

You list 2 physical disks as being in a foreign state. You should just need to import them. This can be done from the PERC configuration screen. You would just need to highlight the controller, press F2, select foreign operations, and import the foreign configuration.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals

You can get the PERC 6i manual through there, page 89 goes into greater detail with foreign configurations.

6 Posts

December 18th, 2018 08:00

dear Sir, 

thank you for your email, 

attached below the state of the PERC6i Utility, as you see the First and third are foreign, also in foreign view.

How to proceed to rebuild the raid without losing the data in .

best Regards.

PD MgmtPD MgmtForeign ViewForeign View

2.9K Posts

December 18th, 2018 09:00

I would recommend importing the drives and this is described in detail in the manual I mentioned. The import operation will attempt to bring the drives back as active members of the array by scanning the metadata on the hard drives. If it is successful, your data should be accessible. This is the safest way to attempt to bring this back online.

6 Posts

December 19th, 2018 02:00

dear Dylan, 

thank you for your reply, 

I'll try it now, but first could you please tell me if we have another way to backup the data in before any actions?

for exemple by using testdisk??

Regards.

6 Posts

December 19th, 2018 03:00

dear Dylan, 

thank you for your post and your support, 

I was try the method figured in the Manual, but look what i found the PD Mgmt !

I can't make anny action, just controle the LED of the Disk.  all the other command are disabled. 

please double check. 

Regards.

PD Mgmt.jpg

2.9K Posts

December 19th, 2018 07:00

You're looking in the wrong screen. You need to be in VD Mgmt and have the PERC highlighted for this option. This is specified in the manual.

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_dell_adapters/poweredge-rc-6i_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

6 Posts

December 20th, 2018 00:00

yes Sir, 

I go for VD Mgmt and try to import to foreign configuration but the

0xc

error appear, 

So I make clean Foreign config and the disk appear ready, and the only aption is Global Hot Spare ! 

here what I can do !

2.9K Posts

December 20th, 2018 07:00

If you cannot import the foreign configuration from VD Mgmt, you would need to deploy a new virtual disk. You could try retagging, which would be deploying an identical virtual disk to the last one. However, before doing this, I would definitely verify any backup solutions, first.

Clearing the foreign config gets rid of the metadata that identifies the RAID information for a virtual disk. We'll need to attempt to re-write it with the retag. Provided you have a backup, you would need to create a RAID array of the same parameters as the one that went foreign. You want to not perform an initialization, as that would cause data loss. If you create the array with the same RAID level and stripe size, it should be ok.

Before proceeding, please double check your backup. If the backup does not look good, you'll want to look at using some sort of a data recovery service.

For example:

With the foreign configuration cleared, the virtual disk would now be deleted. Once it is deleted, you would then make a new one exactly the same as the last. Do not change the RAID level or stripe size from what the last was. Proceed through the wizard and choose not to initialize. This will hopefully make that data available to you.

No Events found!