Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2017 07:00

Poweredge r420 replaced sysboard- now cannot see both SAS drives

Hello!

I have just replaced the system board in our Poweredge and when I try to boot the system cannot detect any of the 2 x 1T SAS drives.  It only detects the NIC cards and the DVD drive.  They were previously set as a RAID 1 I believe.

We have embedded RAID using the PERC S110.  When enter the PERC BIOS (CTRL-R), no physical drives are listed (just the DVD drive).  I'm pretty confident all the cables are connected properly; I'm not getting any errors on boot...

I've tried BIOS and UEFI boot both with no luck.

Any thoughts or things I can try?

Thanks!

AlexW

• 

6.2K Posts

December 27th, 2017 10:00

system cannot detect any of the 2 x 1T SAS drives.

One other thing, I'm assuming that this is a typo. These are SATA drives, correct? You stated that these drives were working previously in a RAID 1 in the same configuration. The S110 is a SATA controller, it does not support SAS.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

December 27th, 2017 10:00

Hello

Virtual disk migration on the S110 is a simple process. The step-by-step instructions start on page 15 of the manual. There is a link for storage manuals in the right pane of our PERC page.

https://www.dell.com/perc

Since the S110 is part of the system board chipset, the firmware on the S110 is updated with the system BIOS. You never want to migrate to older firmware, so I would start by making sure the new system board has the latest BIOS.

Since you are able to enter the CTL R interface I'm going to assume that the SATA mode is set to RAID, you should not be able to enter the S110 BIOS otherwise. In the S110 controller BIOS check the physical disk list. If the drives do not populate in the physical disk list then it is a drive communication issue, check cabling. If they are in the physical disk list then it is likely a virtual disk migration issue.

Thanks

4 Posts

December 28th, 2017 06:00

Daniel thanks so much for your help.

It turns out my frustration here was due to the fact that I didn't see the old system board had an external RAID controller card installed.  sigh...  anyway once I attached that to the new board I was able to see the drives and boot into them.  (they were SAS drives)

Thanks again for your help.  I appreciate it.  Happy Holidays!

Alex

No Events found!