Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2014 01:00

Problem for Dell R710

Hello 

i have a Dell R710. perc 6/i. i installed 3 virtual disk RAID 0

Yesterday appear "E1810 hard drive 0 fault. Review and clear SEL" this msg on LCD. 

Installed Vmware esxi 4.0 

Than I restart server but is not working

On appear

"Foreign configuration(s) found on adapter. Press any key to continue, or ’C’ to load the configuration utility or ’F’ to import foreign configuration(s) and continue.

There are offline or missing virtual drives with preserved cache. Please check the cables and ensure that all drives are present. Press any key to enter the configuration utility."  

I pressed ctrl+R

PD mgmt

00:00 ATA  Foreign

00:01 ATA Foreign

00:02 ATA Online

How to repair this problem? 

Or how to backup my data? Please help me?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 4th, 2014 09:00

Hello bolortg

You can try to import the foreign configuration. When a foreign configuration is present you should have the option to clear or import. If you choose clear it will delete the array. If you choose import the controller will attempt to bring the array back online. If it has issues communicating with the drives, or if the drives are out of sync it will not be able to bring them back online.

If the import fails there are not a lot of recovery options with a RAID 0. There is no redundant data to pull from. Based on the information you provided I suspect that HDD 0 is your point of failure. It is fairly common that when a HDD fails it will knock other drives offline. I suspect HDD 1 was knocked offline because of the failure of HDD 0.

If the import fails then you should contact a data recovery company if the data is important. If you want to try to recover the array yourself then you can try to force the drives online. The problem with forcing the drives online is that if they are too far out of sync the data will be wiped. If the import fails then they are likely too far out of sync to function. This is one of the things the controller checks when it tries to import. Let's say HDD 0 is out of sync with 1 and 2. In that scenario when the drive is forced online the data on HDD 0 will be ignored. The controller will treat it like a blank drive. When it starts reading and writing data to the array it will start syncing the drives. Because there will be a missing stripe segment with HDD 0 being blank it will go ahead and rewrite the other stripe segments. It will overwrite your old data and thus wipe the data. The controller is very good at importing. If it fails the import then I would only recommend forcing drives online if you are ready to lose the data.

As far as backing up the data, you can't at this point. It would require special hardware to perform a backup in the drives current state. The drives are currently inaccessible, so you can't image them. You could put them into a system that has a normal non-RAID SATA controller and use a program to perform images of the individual drives, but you run the risk of further corrupting the drives if you do this. The SATA controller will not care about the array data, and it is possible that it will write over some of the array data and further corrupt the array. Data recovery companies have hardware they can attach the drives to and perform images of them.

I would recommend trying the import. If that fails then I would recommend contacting a data recovery company. If you don't want to use a data recovery company then you can try to image the drives on a non-RAID controller, and then try to force the drives online. You will probably need to discard the cache before you can import the array. There is data in the controllers cache that was unable to be written to the drives before the array went offline. The controller will typically not allow an import to happen with preserved cache waiting to be written to the array.

Thanks

2 Posts

January 6th, 2014 19:00

Thank you reply  DELL-Daniel My

Import not working. Appear " ERROR Foreign config import 2 out of 2 failed to import"

LED to light "Dirty cache LED" on Dell PERC 6i card 

Reconnect battery than its work! 

But HDD 1 is not showing. /Not important OS/

Thanks again :-)

• 

6.2K Posts

January 8th, 2014 09:00

But HDD 1 is not showing. /Not important OS/

If the array is online in a degraded state then you could try reseating HDD 1 to see if it will rebuild. If it will still not detect then you should try it in another slot to find out if it is a drive or slot issue. If it is the drive then replace and rebuild.

Thanks

No Events found!