Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 29th, 2013 18:00

Raid Secondary HDD Bootup

My Server Power Edge 1950 running server 2008 32Bit, using 3 Physical SAS HDD as a Virtual 2 Disk configured for RAID5, with partition of C drive as OS and D drive as Data. Planning to format and install Server 2008 R2 64Bit so i insert a New Physical disk and configured as RAID5 and clone the C drive and D drive to the new hard disk. now i need to test the New hard disk is it able to boot the windows and work as expected.

How do i test, i am not able to boot the windows by choosing the new harddisk, the bios show only the existing HDD. not the new one. and also if i remove the old three hard disk, and leave the new harddisk and then am i able to boot the device, if i do this does my existing RAID5 configure and data in hard disk still remains.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 30th, 2013 07:00

"they said its not possible to boot the new harddisk as the raid controller can`t detect"

If the controller doesn't detect the disk, then it is not possible to boot to it, but obviously it is detecting it if you were able to configure a single-disk RAID 0 with it.

In CTRL-R, the option to change the boot VD is on the CTRL MGMT screen.

In order to boot to the cloned disk, however, you may need to repair your OS boot files (if your cloning utility isn't capable of preserving that info ... the fact that you cloned a larger "disk" to a smaller "disk" indicates you may have copied only the partition, in which case, the boot files would not have been cloned ... but that may depend on your cloning software).

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 29th, 2013 19:00

I'm afraid I don't understand too much of your post.  Start with this:

You said you put in a new disk and configured it as RAID 5.  RAID 5 requires 3 or more disks; you can't configure RAID 5 with one disk.

So, did you clone your RAID 5 to a single-disk RAID 0?  How did you clone it?  If you cloned properly from the RAID 5 to a RAID 0, then you should be able to boot to CTRL-R, and set which VD you want the controller to boot to.

4 Posts

June 30th, 2013 05:00

Sorry for the wrong information, Thanks for your prompt reply

I configured the new disk as Raid0 and clone it using Clonezilla. base on
your reply, i need to re-boot the server and hold CTRL+R for me to choose
the new VD.
I called Dell Support and explain to them the issue. they said its not
possible to boot the new harddisk as the raid controller can`t detect, by
default when we setup the OS installation the raid controller capture your
disk so for the new hardisk you need to re-install the OS. so i was not
clear on these, i prefer to check in forum, i will give a try as per your
instruction

4 Posts

June 30th, 2013 18:00

Hi

I Follow the step as per your request system detect the new disk as VD 2 and i choose the disk and apply restart the machine, but its load the OS from old hard disk not from the new VD 2. Here i attached the snapshot of the Ctrl Mgmt, where i am able to see the New disk [VD 2]

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2013 05:00

Hi able to boot up the device as per your instruction, earlier i use clonezilla to clone the c drive does not able to boot that cause the use. now i used Easues clone and able to boot it

No Events found!