Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2012 14:00

Rebuilding a 2950 SAN

Well, time has come that we are replacing two of our 2950's with R720's to be our new VM hosts. What I'd like to do is recycle one of these 2950's and turn it into a NAS/SAN for use with those VM hosts.

I have set one up as a test rig and gotten 2003 x64 storage server back on to the unit. Sadly it refuses to let me create any kind of LUN or anything else, claiming that the VDS service is unable to find anything usable at a base install.

685 Posts

July 19th, 2012 16:00

The issue with what you are wanting to do is, Storage server is not a supported OS to install on any of the Poweredge servers. Storage server is meant to be installed on certain Powervault systems which is a rebranded version of the server. With it being a Poweredge system the proper Bios will not install that is needed and you will not be able to get WSS to install.

Please let me know if you have any other questions as I would be happy to assist.

9.3K Posts

July 20th, 2012 07:00

How are you trying to create a "LUN"? Are you running an iSCSI target solution or something, or are you talking about creating another raid set with the drives in the 2950 (using OMSA)?

July 20th, 2012 08:00

I would like to use the PERC5i thats built into the machine and use all 6 of the SAS ports to make it an iSCSI target, but it seems that its missing some sort of vendor information or something is not initializing correctly.

Service tag is [ADMIN NOTE: Service Tag removed per privacy policy] for those that are curious.

Hi Kenny K. That is actually what was shipped with my server when we purchased several years ago. It even has the little product code sticker saying thats what its for.

9.3K Posts

July 20th, 2012 12:00

The service tag will be deleted from your post pretty soon probably as it's against board policy to post personally identifying information (including, but not limited to; service tag, phone number, email address, etc).

July 20th, 2012 16:00

Ah, I did not know this. Whoops! I included it because it had the information on the machine such as the OS it was shipped with.

No Events found!