Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2014 18:00

Replacing predicted failure HDD on R510

Hi, 

please bear with me as I have inherited this server. We are a small office and I have been given the responsibility of the server. We are also rural and so have limited access to expert help.

According to the Dell OMSA V 6.5 we have a server with 2 500bg drives in Raid 1 configuration shown on Backplan SAS 6/iR integrated. Physical disk 0:0:0 is shown with a predicted failure.

I am planning on replacing the WEstern Digital WD5003ABYX with a WD5003ABYZ which I hope should be fine. How can I tell if this server is hot swappable?

The OMSA full view says "Hot Spare" :no - does this mean it is not hot swappable?

I understand that I should literally be able to eject the failing disk and insert the new one? OR does this only apply to PERC?

Thanks in advance,

Angus

September 17th, 2014 01:00

Thank you, I will get a new HDD online but it is similar to the one that DELL replaced last time a WD5003ABYZ. I can confirm that the server has lights on the front for the 2 drives and one of the drives has a blinking amber light. 

Thanks for your help

• 

166 Posts

September 17th, 2014 01:00

Hi Angus

If you are seeing the hard disks from the front of the server and there are some indicators light. Then you can confirm these are hot-plug hard disks. And the hard disk which is having the predictive failure should have a blinking amber and green status.

Did you purchase the new hard disk from Dell? Do take note that server hard disk are different from normal desktop hard disk.

Hot Spare means backup hard disk which will kicks in to rebuild when a failure occurs to its member.

Example: if you have 3 hdds and running RAID 1
hd id 0 - online
hd id 1 - online
hd id 2 - hotspare

Say hd id 0 fails, hd id 2 will rebuild to replace hd id 0, all you need to do is to replace hd id 0 and set it as a hotspare.

Yes, you can straight away remove the failed hdd and replace with a known good hdd. Do backup your data please.

Here's a R510 manual in case you need:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r510_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Hope this clarifies.

• 

166 Posts

September 18th, 2014 21:00

Thanks for the confirmation. So did you manage to replace the failing hdd with a known good hdd?

Is the server working fine and back to normal now?

September 21st, 2014 16:00

Had to buy a replacement online and are still waiting for it to arrive. Will update you when we install,

Cheers,

Gus

September 22nd, 2014 19:00

So.... I tried a hot swap. it didn't like it. BSOD 

Then reboot, CHKSK, it seems to be rebuilding now so crisis averted ( we will see hey) Any Idea why it did this?

Cheers Gus

• 

166 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 02:00

Hi Gus

Could you tell us how did you replace the new hdd again please?

Thanks.

September 23rd, 2014 19:00

I pressed the release switch on the front of the drive bay, pulled the drive, replaced the new on into the cradle and popped it back in the drive slot. All while the server was on "hot swap"

September 23rd, 2014 21:00

I got the BSOD about 5 seconds after I plugged in the new HDD. The machine crashed, then rebooted, did CHDSK, then the OSMA showed the rebuild. From what I have read we are lucky the whole system was not corrupted. We lost some data from the dirty shutdown in the Exchange software. It seems to be working properly now, however I would like to know the cause of the BSOD. The event log only shows what was on the BSOD screen:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000077 (0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8800ae8b7a0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 092314-295621-01.

Any ideas

• 

166 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 21:00

Thanks for that.
So from OMSA did you see the new hdd rebuilding after you plugged it in?
When did the blue screen occurs? Right after you plugged in the new hdd?

Did the checkdisk fixes the blue screen?

Let us know please.

No Events found!