Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2013 08:00

S110 and boot disk order

Hi folks,

I hope you can confirm what I remember.

I do have an R420 that uses the integrated S110 with Linux as OS.

I played with the S110 BIOS months ago, now I can't, and I need an answer to my question in the subject.

As far as I remember and as far as I see written in the user manual of the S110, the order of boot can be done only between Virtual disks and in the BIOS I cannot choose the physical disk which to boot from.

Manual's here: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/product/poweredge-rc-s110?c=us

My problem is that we would like to have SW redundancy and boot from the second disk if the first fails and/or gets corrupted. My I fear that won't be possible.

As explained in another thread, the usage of a H310 or higher internal HW RAID controller raise questions of compatibility with the existing LSI 9205-8e. So far nobody could assure their perfect interaction.

Is there anybody who can confirm/clear my doubt about the disk boot order?

Thanks in advance,

Ale X

• 

8.5K Posts

May 31st, 2013 09:00

Hi Ale X,

The S110 does not support Linux, so the drives would have to be in non raid mode. You would have to use OS level software raid, the system will boot to the first hard drive it sees a boot record on, so depending on the software raid level it should continue to boot even with a failed drive.

No Events found!