Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2015 13:00

T310 w/ SAS 6/iR RAID 1 - HDD Failure (DEGRADED)

Hi,

I have a T310 sever w/ SAS 6/iR and 2 250GB hard drives (w/ 3Gb/s) attached to Slot 0 (Primary) and Slot 1 (Secondary) of the SAS/SATA backplane. I got a message in BIOS saying system is in a degraded state, so I looked at the drives, and indicator light in Slot 1 wasn't blinking. I also kept on getting error in Windows Event Viewer saying Hard Disk has a bad block. I figured either both or one of the drive is failing, so I got 2  WD Enterprise 1TB w/ SATA 6Gb/s. I first removed the not blinking drive in Slot 1, and replaced that with the new one, and turned the system on. Still the same thing. I took it out from Slot 1 and inserted into to Slot 2, and it started blinked, and instructed it to rebuild/resync from LSI BIOS. After the secondary was done rebuilding, I removed the old drive from Slot 0, and replaced it with the new 1Tb drive, and it started to rebuild. After everything was done, I boot into Windows, open Dell OpenManage, and notice couple of things: the negotiated speed is only 1.5Gb/s, while the compatible speed is 3.0Gb/s. Also, both drives say 250Gb for space instead of 1Tb.

I thought the speed issue might be because I have one drive in Slot 0 and the other in Slot 2. So I remove the drive in Slot 2 and put it in Slot 1, and it doesn't blink or anything, and degraded message came up again. I am thinking maybe the Slot 1 is bad on the backplane? Is that possible? Or is SAS 6/iR going bad? Is that replaceable or integrated into the motherboard?

Also, how do I get the negotiated speed back up to 3Gb/s like it was before? Could having drives in Slot 0 and 2 have to do something with it? 

Also, what is the best way to get the 1Tb space without losing data on the disk? I don't mind going through the rebuild/resyncing process again, but can't lose data on the disk. 

System stats:

Core i3, 4GB RAM, Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit,.

UP

4 Posts

This is the replacement drive I used:

Brand: Western Digital
Model: WD1003FBYZ
Series: Re
Features

• Dual port processor: Twice the processing power to maximize performance.
  • Multi-axis shock sensor: Automatically detects the subtlest shock events and compensates to protect the data.
  • Vibration Protection: Enhanced RAFF technology includes sophisticated electronics to monitor the drive and correct both linear and rotational vibration in real time. RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER): Prevents drive fallout caused by the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives.
  • Dynamic fly height technology: Each read-write head�s fly height is adjusted in real time for optimum reliability.
  • NoTouch ramp load technology: The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.

Specifications

• Interface: SATA 6 Gb/s
  • Rotational Speed: 7,200 RPM (nominal)
  • Buffer Size: 64 MB
  • Average Latency: 4.20 ms (nominal)
  • Load/unload Cycles: 600,000 minimum
  • Transfer Rate (Host to/from drive): 128 MB/s (Max)
  • Formatted Capacity: 1,000,204 MB
  • Capacity: 1TB
  • Form Factor: 3.5 Inch
  • User Sectors Per Drive: 1,953,525,168

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Depending on your version of RE drive, WD has verified it to work on the SAS 6/iR, but it is still not a Dell certified drive, so there may be some incompatibilities based on firmware differences, etc.

Update your system firmware (starting with the BIOS, then BMC/iDRAC, then PERC (driver first)).

what is the best way to get the 1Tb space without losing data on the disk? I don't mind going through the rebuild/resyncing process again, but can't lose data on the disk.

The ONLY way to increase the size of the array is to do a backup, delete RAID, configure larger RAID, restore.

4 Posts

January 15th, 2015 19:00

I updated the system BIOS to the latest version, 1.12.0

How do I update the BMC/iDRAC firmware and PERC drivers? Where do I even find out what version is installed right now? And where do I get new updates? Sorry, kind of new to this!

UP

4 Posts

January 15th, 2015 20:00

I also updated firmware of PowerEdge T310 BMC 1.92 PowerEdge T310 BMC 1.92 from 1.7X.

My PERC SAS 6/iR firmware is 6.22.03.00, which I believe is the latest version.

I can't figure out how to get iDRAC installed. Don't think I have that installed on it. What does it do? I went to T310 support site, and there were multiple listings of iDRAC related downloads.

UP

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 15th, 2015 21:00

The iDRAC provides remote management capabilities.

There is a PERC 6/i controller and a SAS 6/iR controller. The PERC is a SAS controller, but there is no controller called a PERC 6/iR. The PERC is the higher-end controller.

No Events found!