Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2015 02:00

The Virtual Disk has bad blocks

We have recently replaced a faulty disk on PowerEdge R710 server which is configured as RAID 10. Disk has finished rebuilding and all disks are showing up as online with no failure predicted.

When I select Virtual Disk from OMSA, I see a red cross over the status and after I click on it I see 'The Virtual Disk has bad blocks. For more details, see the Virtual Disk Bad Block Management section in the Online Help.' again all disks look ok.

From the Virtual Disk 0 pull down menu, I see an option 'Clear Virtual Disk Bad Blocks...' .

Is this what I need to select as I have never used this before and being production server, I am not sure what to do. Any ideas please?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 8th, 2015 10:00

Latif,

Out of date firmware on the controller and hard drives can sometimes cause bad clocks on VD. You need to have a good back up of your data before clearing the VD Bad Blocks as this operation deletes data.

For now, run consistency check on the VD in order to verify data on each block by comparing data parity between the mirrored data sets on your RAID 10. Upon success the bad blocks of data will be restored and re-written across the RAID set.

Should the status of your VD persist, back up your data and clear the VD bad blocks from OMSA to allow the system auto-correct the bad blocks.  Monitor the status of the VD accordingly.

Let me know how it goes.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 8th, 2015 11:00

Consistency checks only verifies data, and disk surface occupied by data, unused area of the array disks are not checked,. You should also run  Patrol reads, which checks the entire arrays disks surface for defects.

33 Posts

February 5th, 2018 01:00

Hi i have the same issue, i have Raid-5 config with 3 HD(3TB) and 1 Hotspare. I already run Consistency check but still after running, bad blocks persist. Is it safe now to run "Clear Virtual disk Bad Blocks"??? or shall i run Patrol first??

I am planning to replace the disk with Bad Blocks but i cannot pinpoint the disk with bad blocks as status of all disk are OK and online. In the logs this is what i saw,"Unexpected sense,SCSI sense data:Sense key:1 sense code code:)sense qualifier 0" on Physical disk 0:1:0 and Physical disk 0:1:2.

Does this mean Physical disk 0:1:0 and Physical disk 0:1:2 are the disk wit bad blocks?? or How to pinpoint the disk with Bad blocks??

I cannot perform the backup as the backup exec fails even after running consistency check.

Any Help will be very much appreciated...

No Events found!