Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

October 7th, 2019 06:00

front panel LCD indicates: E1810 HD 3 Fault Review & Clear SEL

On a R410 with PERC 6/i where we have been running a 3 drive Raid 5 array, we went to extend the array after adding a 4th drive into bay 3.   Using OMSA, we set the array to reconfigure with the new drive.   This is a Dell branded drive of the same size, rotation, etc. as the other three already in the array.

This error appeared immediately after execution of the reconfiguration.  OMSA still shows the array as being "reconstructed" and at 0% after leaving it to run over the weekend.   OMSA also shows on the Physical Drive tab that all four drives are "Ok."   

What are my next best steps to try and save the array?   At this point, OMSA also shows that there are 0 GB used in Drive 3 in the array.   Looking at the logs, I see in the Hardware log at 18:25:44 fault detected on drive 3 in disk drive bay 1.   There is nothing in the Alert log.  In the command log, at 18:25:52, there is a storage virtual disk reconfigure entry show.   So, by that timeline, a fault was detected 8 seconds before the command to reconfigure the array using the drive was issued.

My hope is that this means that the operation never started and should have aborted.   

As I see it, the possible next steps are to either pull the drive hot, or reboot the system.

The BIOS of the system and the PERC have both been recently updated to the current.

2.9K Posts

October 7th, 2019 08:00

I would pull a PERC log through OMSA and use that to determine the status of the drives and what happened. OMSA experiences software errors some times, and validating what you see with a PERC log would definitely help to confirm the avenue that needs to be taken. 

2 Posts

October 13th, 2019 18:00

The system is running ESXi and OMSA will only export to the OS drive.  In this case, /var/log.  As the array wasn't responding, I was unable to pull the log.   So, I relented and simply pulled the drive.   Sure enough, the array started rebuilding into a degraded state immediately.   I tested the drive in another system and found that it was dead out of the box.   Oddly, OMSA continued to show it as OK and ready, but once the system was back up and running, I was able to pull the log and could clearly see that as soon as it was assigned to a virtual drive, it showed as failed.  So, back it went.

No Events found!