Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2012 14:00

poweredge 2950 changing sas 6/IR integrated by perc 6i without reinstalling windows

Hello,

I just change the sas 6 IR integrated controller by the perc 6i controller (not integrated, but don't know the difference between integrated and not integrated) but now i have some trouble

1/ on each server i do that i have in the windows system log :
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation. 

2/ when i run chkdsk.exe i have :
The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

3/ i have also one server that is in "unstable" state now. i can connect to it via comand prompt (via pexec of sysinternal) but not anymore via rdp !

thanks you by advance

stephane 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 30th, 2012 14:00

Compatibility With Virtual Disks Created on SAS 6/iR Controllers
Virtual disks created on the SAS 6/iR family of controllers can be migrated to PERC 6 and CERC 6/i. However, only virtual disks with boot volumes of the following Linux operating systems successfully boot after migration:

Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 4
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server 10 (64-bit)

NOTE: The migration of virtual disks with Microsoft® Windows® operating systems is not supported.
CAUTION: Before migrating virtual disks, back up your data and ensure the firmware of both controllers is the latest revision. Also ensure you use the SAS 6 firmware version 00.25.47.00.06.22.03.00 or newer.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

24 Posts

August 30th, 2012 15:00

Thank you the flash!

however, what SAS 6 firmware version 00.25.47.00.06.22.03.00 or newer mean ? because this is not the controller firmware right ?

i know that the migration of virtual disks with Microsoft® Windows® operating systems is not supported. but the disk was not configured as a virtual disk under sas 6/ir so i try. actually it's work, i can boot, everything is ok EXCEPT this raw disk under chkdsk and the paging error :( any workaround ?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 30th, 2012 15:00

Yes, it is referring to the SAS 6/iR firmware - the PERC 6 firmware is not designed to properly import VD's with previous SAS 6/iR firmware versions.

I don't know of a workaround.  It may be part of why it is not supported, or it may have been out-of-date firmware, or something just went haywire during the migration.

No Events found!