Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2007 14:00

"the failure prediction threshold exceeded due to test-No action needed"

I installed 3 new drives in a raid 5 array on PE 2500SC using a PERC 3/di. I keep getting this error on the new drives through array manager and it is making the warning light blink. It says no aciont needed and everything I have read says it is not an issue, however the warning keeps popping up in array manager and the light keep blinking orange. I'd like to get rid of the warning and the warning light. If I clear the warning logs in array manager and reboot the machine it temporarily makes the warning and blinking stop but it soon comes back and the warnings start filling up the logs again. Any idea how to make this go away permenently?

777 Posts

March 6th, 2007 18:00

Hi mlaufer,

If you will uninstall the Dell openmanage storage manager and then install the FAST version that matches your controller's F/W version (driver needs to be same version as well) you have the following option in the FAST-CLI: 
*********************************************************************************************************
disk set smart

To change a device's S.M.A.R.T. configuration, use the disk set smart command. The acronym S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology. This technology is an industry standard for hard drives that monitors a variety of disk parameters, such as the rate of read-write errors. In addition, S.M.A.R.T. can send an alert to system administrators about potential problems caused by disk errors.

This command allows you to make the following changes related to S.M.A.R.T.:

• Enable or disable S.M.A.R.T. configuration for all disks on the system
  • Clear the S.M.A.R.T. error count for the specified disk
  • Enable or disable S.M.A.R.T. exception reporting

Syntax

disk set smart [/all{=boolean}][/clear{=boolean}] [/enable_exceptions{=boolean}] [/logerr{=boolean}][/mrie{=integer}] [/perf{=boolean}][/report_count{=integer}] [/interval_timer{=integer}]

[/update{=boolean}] [{scsi_device}]

Parameters

{scsi_device}

Specifies the ID for the SCSI disk on which you want to change S.M.A.R.T. configurations. A SCSI ID consists of a SCSI bus number (for example, 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.), SCSI device ID (0 through 15 inclusive), and SCSI device logical unit number (0 through 7 inclusive). See the scsi_device for more information on how to specify the SCSI device. You do not need to specify a SCSI ID if you use the /all switch.

**********************************************************************************************************

In this case you would clear the SMART error count on the offending disk. (you can also review the disk show defects command, look for grown defects these would indicate that you're getting media errors on the disk in question)

There are some conditions where through no fault of the disk the error monitoring S/W on the disk is counting errors occurring elsewhere in the system, another possiability is that you may have a damaged file that fails CRC that is generating errors during scheduled consistancy checks.

The FAST CLI is the only Dell tool that I know of that will allow you to reset the SMART error count.

Dell-GaryS

No Events found!