Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

15 Posts

May 17th, 2022 12:00

r7515 can see Megaraid controller in bios and windows, but not in any sw controller tool

In bios (latest, 2.6.6), we can see the
- integrated Dell Perc controller
- BOSS card
- Megaraid 9580-8i8e  

In Win Server 2022, can see all the cards. 

In Dell Open Manage Server Admin installed locally, under 'Storage', we see the Dell perc controller and BOSS card, but not our Megaraid 9580-8i8e controller - it sees that as "PCIe SSD Subsystem", with two checkmarks for "Enclosure (backplane)", but no useful info inside there. 

Broadcom's command line StorCLI can't detect controllers of any kind from inside Windows Server 2022 ("Number of Controllers = 0")

Dell's own PercCLI, same. ("Number of Controllers = 0")

Unfortunately we cannot use the IDRAC here, so that's out. 

Suggestions? (besides 'get the IDRAC')

Even if we can't remotely configure the raid, would like to be able to monitor its status. 

thanks!

• 

3.1K Posts

May 17th, 2022 19:00

Hi @smartbees,

I have a feeling that the card is not compatible with R7515. Have you updated LCC firmware?

I'm not familiar with Broadcom Megaraid, it's not listed as supported hardware in R7515's technical guide: https://dell.to/38vEUXM

What PCIe slot did you install the card? Here is the guide for slot installation: https://dell.to/3yLwpm8

15 Posts

May 18th, 2022 07:00

Hi Joey. Thanks for the quick response. Although I read the guide link (and despite it not being on the 'supported' list in there, which I think are all Dell cards?), the card behaves correctly in bios and Device Manager, as well as Disk Mgmt, where we can easily configure a disk. It is in slot 4. It's only the raid controller tools of various flavors that won't see it. Broadcom raid controller cards are generally well known, so its weird that it is behaving this way. I'll see if I can contact their own tech support about ideas unless you've got something. 

• 

3.1K Posts

May 22nd, 2022 18:00

Hi @smartbees,

Unfortunately, I can't thinking of anything related to my experienced in this forum from users, which maybe be a cause of it, other than compatibility. Could it be an OS related issue? You mentioned anything within before OS is working as expected? But not in OS?

15 Posts

May 24th, 2022 06:00

First: inside Windows, drivers and card identification is 100% working normally. You can see the card and the driver is installed properly. However, after further investigation with Broadcom on the card, it appears that the reason the StorCLI command line sw didn't work was due to syntax error. It is still odd to me that Open Manage can't identify it, though. Is Open Manage designed only to detect and manage Dell products?

• 

8.4K Posts

May 24th, 2022 07:00

Smartbees,

OMSA does work and discover 3rd party hardware, but it will be very limited on the information provided, which I think is the issue you're seeing.

Let me know if this helps.

No Events found!