Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2014 07:00

upgrading hdd with perc h700

the hard drives are 2 250GB in a mirrored RAID I would like to upgrade them to 2 4TB mirror. what would be my best approach there is only one server and data loss can't happen also I am trying to decide if i should go with SAS or SATA.  Should i just add the hdds as another mirror then image the contents over?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2014 09:00

Yes, that would be your best option, just keep in mind that to have a 4TB "disk" in the OS, in order for it to be bootable, it will need to be converted to GPT, and the system's boot mode will need to be set to UEFI.  What OS are you using?

Alternatively, you could simply replace the disks one at a time, then create a new virtual disk (array) across the disks using the new/additional space.  This will show as a separate "disk" in the OS.  This will prevent you from needing to do a backup/restore, converting the 250GB "disk" to GPT (data-destructive), and switching boot modes.

18 Posts

September 11th, 2014 07:00

My os is windows server 2008 standard

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 11th, 2014 10:00

My os is windows server 2008 standard

Ok, then you must use the 64-bit version of 2008 to make this work with UEFI/GPT.  You will be better off creating two VD's across the disks - one smaller than 2TB for the OS.

18 Posts

September 11th, 2014 11:00

ok I will do that. Do you know if the perc h 700 is compatable with non dell hard drives? If so i may choose sata over sas.

No Events found!