Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2019 01:00

2nd CPU not recognized on dell Poweredge SC1430

Hello,

I've recently decided to upgrade the existing CPU installed on my old Dell Poweredge SC1430 with a second mathed CPU with the exact same specification. The hardware uprgrade was sucessfull, but one strange thing happend, the server starts correctly but doesn't recognize the second CPU in the BIOS. The BIOS post is still mentionning the existing same quad core processor, not the second as he should.

I've reset manually the BIOS to the default configuration, but it didn't change anything concerning the recognition of the second CPU.

The BIOS version installed is the latest one : V1.4

Could some of you provide me some ways to investigate to try to solve this ?

Thanks a lot for your lights,

Tiebo.

Technical details :

service tag :

2 x matched pair of Xeon processors X5355 @ 2,66 Ghz

• 

3.4K Posts

October 7th, 2019 02:00

Hi,

It may seem you could have a faulty CPU slot, but we might need to conclude it.

Try swapping, or use the new CPU on slot 1 to check if the processor is working. Then, install the 2nd slot with your previous processor. 

Try checking in the logs at BIOS to see if there is any clues. 

If none the above, there is nothing much to troubleshoot, as this server is straight forward, and you have already done updating BIOS.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2019 00:00

Hi Joey,

Unfortunately you were right, i followed your idea with the processor swap and ... it worked in Slot 0 with both processors, tested separatly. In Slot 1 none of them did start, the BIOS wasn't displayd, only leds errors showing 234 before BIOS, this corresponds to a possible processor issue (hardware manual p. 15). In this case this confirm that the issue came from the slot 1.

That's really unlucky, I swapped the previous motherboard due USB failures, but this time it's linked to a SLOT failure..

Anyway, thank you  for the informations provided this was the right way to have the definitive diagnose of the failure.

NB : if someone is looking to replace his functionnal poweredge, i'm interested by his motherboard...

No Events found!