Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 9th, 2017 23:00

4Rx4 memory with 2Rx4 memory? Incompatible?

Hello all

I have a Dell R710. We recently upgraded the memory and added 6 matching 16GB modules. All was well. DIMM were purchased off of ebay to save money... bad idea...

However, here we are... 1 of the 6 modules was bad. So I ordered a new one (from differnt source). As soon as I put it in, the server will not even POST... 

If I remove the module, server boots fine - yes it complains that the memory should be in, and disabled that bank (so if A3 is missing, A6 and A9 are disabled).

One more order... same thing.. This time I tried to match the frequency and that it was low voltage. Again, same thing... Server wont even post.

Only difference I see now is that the current memory is showing 2Rx4, while the new one is 4RX4.

Are they incompatible? Do I need to order the 2RX4 low voltage memory?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 10th, 2017 07:00

Hello.

Only difference I see now is that the current memory is showing 2Rx4, while the new one is 4RX4.

For optimal memory configuration, memory modules must be installed in matching pairs across the channels. The server supports using a single module of Quad rank DIMMs like the 4Rx4 on the first slot or 2 modules on the first 2 slots on every channel. The server will not POST when any of these guidelines is violated as you have observed.

Are they incompatible? Do I need to order the 2RX4 low voltage memory?

Yes, replace the Quad rank module (4Rx4) with a dual rank module (2Rx4). See page 130 of the Users' Guide for more information. ftp://ftp.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-r710_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf 

No Events found!