AMD Firepro W4100 Professional 

Will work?

Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 13th, 2015 14:00

Hello.

The only integrated graphics card I see as supported on the T20 server is Integrated Intel HD P4600. Does not mean that the AMD Firepro W4100 Professional may not work.

548 Posts

October 13th, 2015 22:00

I don't have a T20 but it seems the BIOS does not have a specific setting within Integrated Devices screen to allow you to disable the Integrated Graphics. The result of this ommission is that the BIOS may or may not correctly configure a PCIe graphics card if installed and in fact your system may not even boot.

Remember that Dell sold these as cheap servers so I'd guess Dell wouldn't want them used as cheap workstations (and likley have hidden the associated settings within BIOS just 'cause they can).

If your lucky, the BIOS will indeed detect the graphics card and passivate the integrated Intel graphics but there is no way of knowing unless you try it.

You can check that the PCIe slot you insert your graphics card is indeed enabled within BIOS and you can also try disabling "SERR Messages" within BIOS if you have issues with the system when a PCIe graphics card is installed.

Other than that, your on your own.

Oh, and Dell wont help unless you consider help being assistance with buying a workstation) :emotion-43:

[edited to add the following]

Found this thread on another forum so it looks like it's possible to add a graphics card to this server.

5 Posts

October 14th, 2015 02:00

As I need something between a server and a workstation, I was thinking to get one T20 and upgrade it with a nice graphic card and upgrade the CPU to a i5 or i7, since the motherboard looks very similar to the Precision T1700.

I know that with the upgrades the T20 may cost the same or more as a T1700, but to be honest I prefer the case configuration and some other features of the T20.

By any chance are the motherboards of the T20 and T1700 the same? 

Is there a chance that the bios from the T20 is more restrictive?

Thank you for your inputs.

548 Posts

October 14th, 2015 22:00

By any chance are the motherboards of the T20 and T1700 the same? 

Is there a chance that the bios from the T20 is more restrictive?

I don't think the motherboards are identical since they use different LAN chips.

Even if they were identical, who knows what differences could exist between the T20 and T1700 bios'. So if you are ever tempted to cross flash the T1700 BIOS on a T20 in the hope of more workstation focused BIOS, you must do extensive decompilation and investigation of both BIOS' first. Without detailed technical understanding of both mobos' and their BIOS' you'll likely brick your machine by cross flashing.

And remember firmware contains CPU microcode that defines allowable CPU's. If your prefered CPU does not have corresponding microcode within BIOS, likley the system wont boot. Unlike consumer motherboard manufacturers, OEM's like Dell are less than procative in updating the systems to cater for updated CPU's. These OEM's would prefer you junk your couple years old system and just buy a new system rather than update a CPU [:'(]

In a simplistic sence you could compare the chip sets, listed components and allowable processors of both systems by looking at the Technical Guidebook or other documents/spec sheets. That should clarify any documented differences and possibly board dimensions. Possibly teh T20 does not have i5 and i7 microcode so these processors would not work.

If you like the T20 mechanics but prefer a T1700 mobo, if it fits the T20 case it could make for an interesting project. But it's effort which equals $ so it all depends on what you want to achieve and what floats your boat :emotion-8:

Simplest thing at the moment is to check CPU compatabilities and consider installing a PCIe graphics card and PSU if you think it is required. But like always, research first :emotion-1:

No Events found!