Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2009 00:00

Adding Additional Hard Drive to Poweredge 1800

Hi!

I am trying to install a 1TB hard drive to a Dell Poweredge 1800 (running Windows 2003) that already has 2 160GB SATA drives installed on the RAID card. This is just to hold data that does not need to be backed up and I am not concerned about it being part of the raid conifguration. 

I have installed the new hard drive, but the system will not see it at all. 

I am wondering if the server can handle 1TB hard drives. Does anyone know? If it can handle it, where am I going wrong? If it cannot, what configurations are possible?  

I would be grateful is anyone has any tips, solutions, etc. 

Thanks in advance!

2 Posts

July 5th, 2009 19:00

How are you connecting the new drive?  Through the RAID enclosure?

Does the machine boot normally to Windows startup with the drive connected?  Or does it hang?

When it is connected to the RAID card, does it show up in the list?

Have you tested the new drive in another machine, or in an external HD enclosure?

If you can verify that the drive is good and you still can't get the drive to work in the 1800, you may have answered your own question:  The PERC BIOS may not be able to see the drive.  (I'm assuming you do have the PERC in there since you mentioned RAID.)

1 Message

July 12th, 2009 14:00

I am having a similar problem with my 2 new 1.5TB SATA HDDs in my PowerEdge 1800.

I followed the installation instructions to physically install the drives.  Now I have 2x160GB, 2x500GB + the new 2x1.5TB drives = 6 drives.

All drives are connected to the CERC RAID Controller (1.5/6ch).  When I boot up, hit and then enter the Dell RAID Configuration Utility, the Disk Utilities section recognizes all of the drives.  But, when I go the Array Configuration section, only the 2x160GB and 2x500GB drives show up to be made into Array(s).

Also, in the Disk Utility section, I am able to Verify and Format any of the 6 drives, new or old.

Any ideas?

Thanks

3 Posts

August 13th, 2009 17:00

Having the same problem.  Can any body confirm if the CERC RAID Controller (1.5/6ch) supports 1.5TB HDs?

1.2K Posts

August 20th, 2009 13:00

The Sil chips used on this card supports disks up to 1TB, although there's no official mention of this.

884 Posts

August 20th, 2009 14:00

According to this document, 1TB and larger drives are not supported.

"Note: The CERC SATA 1.5/6ch does not support hard drive sizes larger than or equal to 1 TB."

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/RAID/CERCbest.pdf

3 Posts

August 21st, 2009 11:00

Thanks for digging up the info guys.  A lot of people are buying these cards on ebay to make home-brew NAS boxes with older motherboards.

9.3K Posts

August 21st, 2009 14:00

I'm not sure what the CERC is going for, but you can usually find a PERC5i (on Ebay) for under US$200, which is a pretty good deal for an LSI-based raid controller.

No Events found!