Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2014 15:00

Adding ram to poweredge r710

Hello,

I want to add additional RAM to my Dell Power-edge r710 dual cpu rack-mount server, but am not sure of the best approach. The server is currently in optimizer mode and has a 2gb in A1,A4,A2,A5,A3,A6,B6,B3,B5,B2,B4,B1. I would like to add another 16gb of memory, I do have a single 16gb stick available if it's possible to use. If not I wanted to know the best approach to upgrade.

Thanks!

• 

6.2K Posts

October 1st, 2014 17:00

Hello

I do have a single 16gb stick available if it's possible to use.

No, DIMMs must be installed in pairs at a minimum. With running dual CPUs the lanes must also match, so in most scenarios you are going to be installing a minimum of 4 DIMMs if you are adding memory. The only exceptions would be for the purpose of troubleshooting with a single DIMM in A1.

I would need to know what your current memory is to provide suggestions on upgrading. If your current memory are unregistered DIMMs then you are at maximum population. Only the first two channels can be populated when UDIMMs or quad rank DIMMs are used.

If your current DIMMs are RDIMMs then you could put 4GB DIMMs in slots 7,8 on the A and B lanes for an additional 16GB. You cannot mix UDIMM and RDIMM.

Thanks

No Events found!