Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

23 Posts

February 18th, 2019 04:00

Advice on replacing/upgrading Poweredge T320 & T310

Hi...

We currently have 1x Poweredge T320 and 1x T310 (both around 8-10 years old), but have been advised to replace them with a HP virtualised server. We're slightly reluctant to do this, primarily down to cost, but also because they're working fine. That said, I appreciate that things move on and replacements need to be factored in. Also, one server is running MS SBS and SQL, which will have support ending later this year (or early next year). The other is running SBS 2011, so support will end a little further down the line - albeit this server only handles our own network and emails, but this has since been moved to a cloud solution (it's no longer essential to our operation). We will need to retain a SQL server going forward, as we have a management software and database running on it. 

I'm really no great expert on servers (but understand bits), so am after some second opinions. Generally speaking, would there be anything obvious that prevents us from installing updated SBS and SQL versions and carrying on with one of the servers? Or, would the newer software versions require updated hardware to run effectively - thus it's best that we just bite the bullet and replace everything at the same time (not necessarily with HP!).

Sorry if I'm too vague or general. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 18th, 2019 06:00

No, throw away SBS. Since its codebase is 2008 R2, its long-overdue death is also Jan 2020 (along with 2008 R2 and Windows 7). If you are talking about the version of SQL installed with SBS, then you can probably go to SQL Server Express installed on a Server 2016/2019 box. Check the specs of Express, as there are some limitations to its being free, but it may be adequate, depending on your use. If upgrading hardware, there is no value in staying on SBS.

February 18th, 2019 07:00

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

When you say "throw away SBS" - do you mean that the hardware itself is still useful, and we could simply install a new OS and new SQL?

To be honest, I think we may need to go higher than SQL Express, which I understand will involve user licences. However, can you confirm if SQL must run on top of SBS as a primary OS for the hardware/box?

Sorry if this sounds naive - I do understand certain aspects of the subject, but need to fill in the gaps. We will outsource any work that's needed, but would like to have a slightly better grasp of the options available before making a final decision. I've already had conflicting recommendations on the best way forward - one of which is to carry on using the current OS with new SQL.

Actually, I just realised that I'm quoting 'SBS', when we may be using Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2. That would make a crucial difference - yes?

Thanks again - I really appreciate it!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 18th, 2019 09:00

Yes. The T310 is getting a little old, and while the T320 is not super new, it supports Server 2016. What are its specs? Maybe upgrade the CPU, memory, and storage to a solid state drive … you may need to invest in hardware, but upgrading this one would be less than purchasing a new server. Renew the warranty for fast warranty parts, etc., and you should be good. 

Personally, I believe it makes a big difference … get as far away from SBS as you can :) If you are already using 2008 R2, then you are already using a "modern" Microsoft Server (they did away with SBS for several reasons), but it still reaches end of life in January 2020.

The "included" SQL licensing that comes with SBS can only run with SBS. SQL Standard, Express, etc. can be run on any supported version of Windows OS (for example, SQL 2005 may not be supported on 2019, etc.).

If you are using 2008 R2, the recommendation to continue using that OS beyond 2019 is a very poor recommendation. The recommendation to upgrade SQL without moving to a new OS also doesn't make any sense (why would you want to do the migration twice??).

You could probably keep your T320 (possibly with some upgrades), but I would move to 2016 and a new version of SQL at the same time.

February 19th, 2019 02:00

Thanks so much for that. It's really helpful!!

The specs on the T320 are:

- Processor: Intel Xeon CPU E5-2407 0 2.2ghz 2.2ghz (that's what it says in system information)

- RAM: 12GB

- Storage: I see two drives - 1x 1TB; 1x 4TB. (We can discuss the merit of moving to SSD at this end)

Would an upgrade of these specs have merit?

February 19th, 2019 02:00

Thank you! You've been super helpful - much appreciated. It gives me an idea of the general direction we can follow, and the correct options we'd need to look at.

The T320 currently runs SBS 2011, and this is the one we'd be looking at upgrading. It's the T310 that runs 2008 R2 for both SBS and SQL. Sorry if I confused things.

I understand that the extended support for SQL 2008 R2 will cease as of July this year - does that sound about right?

The specs on the T320 are:

- Processor: Intel Xeon CPU E5-2407 0 2.2ghz 2.2ghz (that's what it says in system information)
- RAM: 12GB
- Storage: I see two drives - 1x 1TB; 1x 4TB. (We can discuss the merit of moving to SSD at this end)

What are your initial thoughts in respect of RAM and processor? Would a change give us a noticeable improvement? ...although, I appreciate that it may future-proof us to an extent. I'd rather invest more now and give us a better machine for the x-number of years we continue to get out of it.

Just to repeat/clarify - if we upgrade the T320, all it would potentially run is the management software that currently runs on the T310.

I have a couple of final questions (about the OS & SQL), but will save them for later.

Thanks again!!!!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 19th, 2019 05:00

Whether or not you need to upgrade depends on the load on your server. Those specs are VERY modest and will not support very high of a load.

How many users?
File shares? 
Print server?
How large are the files? Types? 
How frequently accessed?
How large is the database?
How many users access it?
How do they access it? RDP on the server or through an app installed locally on their machines?
Are you currently experiencing lag or slowness with it?
Is the server doing anything else?

A lot depends on the answers to the above, but I would certainly upgrade the RAM to 16GB, but 32GB would probably be more prudent. I would put in some SSD's regardless of the answers above. CPU is only 4 cores but may be fine depending on use/load.

February 19th, 2019 06:00

Thank you again!

I don't expect you to keep giving up your time, but I will give you some more detail and if you have time to advise further then it will be gratefully received.

How many users? 12 max
File shares? Not needed - currently in cloud.
Print server? Currently Yes, but am told we can move print off the server.
How large are the files? Types? File storage not needed.
How frequently accessed? Fairly constantly by numerous users during the working day.
How large is the database? I'm not too sure, but I would estimate that it's a decent size, and growing.
How many users access it? 12 max
How do they access it? RDP on the server or through an app installed locally on their machines? RDP.
Are you currently experiencing lag or slowness with it? No, it's acceptable, but speed is important going forward.
Is the server doing anything else? Runs our ERP software.

Upgrading the RAM seems like a logical and reasonable step. We can discuss the merits of moving to SSD versus cost. So.... if you were to suggest a processor upgrade, can you point me in the direction of one that would be suitable for the machine?

Again, cannot thank you enough for your help.

February 19th, 2019 07:00

Further to above - for comparison, the T310 that currently runs our primary software has 8GB RAM and Intel Xeon X3430 2.4ghz CPU. Everything seems to be stable and quick with this setup. How does that processor compare with the one on our T320? Many thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 19th, 2019 09:00

"Print server? Currently Yes, but am told we can move print off the server."

I'm not sure why you would "move print off the server". Do you really want to map printers manually and directly for every user that logs in? Install the print server role and push the printers through GPO.

So, your server is also a terminal server?

Yeah, definitely going to need more RAM and SSD's. CPU would probably be beneficial too.

The X3430 is a lesser CPU than the E5-2407 … you wouldn't want to use it. The T310 doesn't support Server 2016 either, which is ok, I guess, but you probably would be much better off using the newer of the two. I would suggest going to the E5-2420 … it is 6 cores (with hyper-threading makes 12 threads) where the 2407 is 4 cores (without hyper-threading making a total of 4 processing threads).

February 19th, 2019 13:00

"I'm not sure why you would "move print off the server"."

Actually, what I said there was completely out of context. We were discussing moving everything to a off-site host, but some advice we received implied that we would need to keep the T320 for file and print (albeit file isn't needed), so other advice stated that the server wasn't necessary for print alone. I guess as a costs and benefits exercise based on print alone, then the advice/suggestion may have merit. If the server is actually utilised anyway, then I totally get your point re. keeping the print on there.

It's a long story, but I've ended up on a fact-finding mission so that we can better understand the various aspects, with a view to (hopefully) being able to say; "this is what we want...and this is why we want it",

Based on what you've said, I think we could upgrade both the RAM and CPU for not much money. We can review which files/content is currently on the exiting drives and then select an appropriately sized SSD(s) to take us forward - may as well do it now rather than later. Would the SSD need to be a particular type/model/fit? 

Would you mind if I ask you a few questions about the server software? This should put me in a good position to go and get on with this.

Many thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 19th, 2019 21:00

Totally fine … shoot!

You could probably get away with a couple of Intel server SSD's, like the S4510 - 480GB is very reasonably priced right now and they "usually" play nice with the Dell controllers. 

Consider a certified SSD for mission critical workloads and a drive that is guaranteed to work.

Last thing you want to do (or would even be able to do) is throw in a Samsung EVO or equivalent. Even the Pro, while a much better choice, tends not to play nicely with Dell RAID controllers.

Which RAID controller do you have?

February 20th, 2019 16:00

I will bear the advice on SSD in mind - I really didn't know where to start with this. Can you suggest an example of a certified SSD?

I'm not sure about the RAID. How could I find out?

With regards to the software - installing Server 2016 will have a cost, right? Will CALs be required on top of this?

Likewise with SQL - will it require the software to be purchased, plus user licences on top? I would need to cover the needs of around 10 concurrent users. I don't think SQL Express will be enough for our needs, but I will explore this as an option too.

Many thanks!!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 21st, 2019 13:00

Yes, as a domain controller, you would need 2019 user/device CAL's, plus proper CAL's for SQL.

Yes, CAL's on top of the SQL Server software purchase.

https://www.xbyte.com/hw/dell/server-parts/hard-drives/hard-drives-for-tower/hard-drives-for-t320.html?dtype=186_184

Certified drives are drives with Dell firmware on them, tweaked to the many specific settings of the RAID controller. You can get them from Dell, but they are expensive, so you are better off getting the same drives through suppliers, like XByte. If you have a part number, you can usually save more money by getting them from places like Amazon.

February 25th, 2019 02:00

Hi... sorry for the delay in replying. I'm back on this today again.

More questions below - sorry!!

Just to clarify - "...as a domain controller, you would need 2019 user/device CAL's..." How does this differ from Windows Server 2016 that you mentioned earlier? Is the domain controller part of the OS, or something separate? I'm following you fairly easily on the subject of RAM, SSDs, processors, etc., but this just poses more questions - sorry. We won't mess with the software installation side of things anyway, but it helps to now a little about it. Getting a wider understanding of the hardware options in itself has been massively helpful.

You mentioned that the E5-2420 and hyper threading. Having read up on the subject, I understand a bit about it now. Does hyper threading need to be configured, or will it work pretty much out of the box?

Is the particular RAID controller significant in the context of what SSDs are used? Typically, how would I find out which type is being used? Would this be found in Device Manager, or somewhere else within Control Panel?

[Will continue in a separate post, as it keeps being regarded as spam and gets deleted]

February 25th, 2019 03:00

You mentioned that the S4510 SSD would "...usually play nice with Dell controllers". What do you mean by "play nice"? Typically, what sort of issues would arise when it doesn't play nice? I'm trying to get a reasonably accurate feel for how all this might affect our particular operation, if faced with selecting one particular option over another.

You also suggested that we consider certified SSDs for mission critical workload. What would be an example of mission critical workload?

Finally - within the recommendation we've received with respect to a new replacement server, a NAS drive is included. Given that we now store all files in a cloud solution, would I be right in saying that there is no practical need for this, given that we would really only need an on-premise server to host our management software, and for print.

Sorry for all these questions. I think and hope we've reached the end now. We'll see though. :-)

Many thanks....again.

No Events found!