Highlighted

BIOS upgrade failed on R740 Linux

Jump to solution

Hello,

When trying to upgrade BIOS on my R740 using Linux from version 2.2.11 to 2.4.8 I get an error never seen before, it would be nice if someone had a clue about it:

# sh BIOS_9P3C0_LN_2.4.8.BIN

Collecting inventory...

Running validation...

PowerEdge BIOS

The version of this Update Package is newer than the currently installed
version.
Software application name: BIOS
Package version: 2.4.8
Installed version: 2.2.11

Continue? Y/N:y
Executing update...
WARNING: DO NOT STOP THIS PROCESS OR INSTALL OTHER PRODUCTS WHILE UPDATE IS
IN PROGRESS.
THESE ACTIONS MAY CAUSE YOUR SYSTEM TO BECOME UNSTABLE!
.............terminate called after throwing an instance of 'smbios::InternalErrorImpl'
what(): Could not instantiate SMBIOS table.
The update failed to complete

Thanks,

Nicolas

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DELL-Rey G
2 Iron

Re: BIOS upgrade failed on R740 Linux

Jump to solution

if you have access to the idrac gui, you can download BIOS_9P3C0_WN64_2.4.8.EXE from the support site, then open the idrac gui by its IP address, then go to Maintenance> System Update, then Choose File and point it to BIOS_9P3C0_WN64_2.4.8.EXE, and then click as shown in the screenshot.

2019-12-05_14-34-31.png

#Iwork4Dell 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DellEMC

Jump to solution

What version of Linux are you working with? Does the update only err when trying to run from the OS, or does it also fail if you try to update through the iDRAC with the .EXE?

Are you running this as root? Confirming based on the '#' in the first line of your paste.

#Iwork4Dell
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I'm using Debian 10, which generally works fine with Dell binaries, I recently upgraded a R730 with the latest .BIN file. And I run the script as root.

In my understanding the .EXE can only be run with Windows, if there is a way to run it otherwise I would be glad to try it.

Nicolas

0 Kudos
DELL-Rey G
2 Iron

Jump to solution

if you have access to the idrac gui, you can download BIOS_9P3C0_WN64_2.4.8.EXE from the support site, then open the idrac gui by its IP address, then go to Maintenance> System Update, then Choose File and point it to BIOS_9P3C0_WN64_2.4.8.EXE, and then click as shown in the screenshot.

2019-12-05_14-34-31.png

#Iwork4Dell 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DELL-Rey G
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I just finished upgrading my system from 2.2.11 to 2.4.8 using this method, no problems. 

#Iwork4Dell

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I enabled iDRAC, and the update worked, thanks for the solution.

Nicolas

0 Kudos