Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2011 16:00

BMC communication failure on poweredge 2950

Good Day,

I have a PowerEdge 2950 server that has been down for 6months, just booted it up today and i'm getting the following error at post "Baseboard Management Controller Communication Failure".

I can still boot into the server, but my fans are spinning out of control and generating some serious noise. I checked under the Open Manage Server Administrator and i'm not seeing my fans at all. 

Just wondering if anyone encountered this problem and what solutions they used to rectify this problem

Thanks in advance

Darryl

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 10th, 2011 18:00

Was the server set aside because of this error, or is this a new problem?

• Remove anything unnecessary from the server (drives, expansion cards, etc.).
  • Reseat all cable connections (power, data), especially the riser card(s) on the left hand side of the chassis.
  • Using the jumpers on the  motherboard, clear the NVRAM.

2 Posts

January 11th, 2011 09:00

thanks for the fast response .

Reseating all cable connections (power, data) did the trick for me :emotion-21:

Many thanks

darryl

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 11th, 2011 10:00

Glad it did!

14 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 09:00

Unfortunatly I am now having the same issue with my Dell NX1950. I installed Server 2012 on it and just wanted to do the BMC and BIOS updates to it. Half way through the BMC update I lost my remote connection. Went into the server room and found that it had rebooted, the front LCD display has both orange and blue lights lit up but nothing displayed, the fans are out of control, the DRAC will not initialize, the RAID is gone, and it says "Baseboard Management Controller Communications Failure."

I have unplugged the system and everything in it. I did not reset the NVRAM yet. Not sure how to at the moment. Reseated all the riser cards. I have it sitting unplugged at the moment. here is the issue. Its my VMWare ESXi datastore with all my servers... I am completely down at the moment.

Is there a way to reflash the BMC offline somehow?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 13:00

excellent. you can flash all the firmwares using a bootable iso disc. I will make one for you right now to expedite the process. Stand by, I will post a link for you in a bit

14 Posts

Yes it will boot from both.

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

will it boot to a usb or cd? if not, you may be dead in the water.

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

I have created an iso for you, boot to this and it will flash all the firmware on your system in one shot.

http://dtxdropbox.dell.com

username: nx1950

password: ojgh5cm4

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 14:00

NOTE: you will probably need to take care of the BMC communication error before the BMC flash will work....

14 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 15:00

Wow. Thank You so much. I hope this all works. How will I handle that issue. If the BMC update botched and its having a comm issue dont I need to reflash it in order to make it communicate again?

14 Posts

February 22nd, 2013 17:00

This worked amazing!!!! I put the CD in and booted from it. It took about 20 minutes and updated everything in the system. I was watching the dots on the screen and i heard the server fans go off, but the boot disk was still up. All I could think was it worked!!! Looked at the front and the LCD came back. The BMC mustve reset itself. It also updated everything else and I am back up and running. Rey-D I cant thank you enough, being out of support and still getting help from a Dell engineer is great! You really saved me.

Thank you

3 Posts

March 13th, 2013 06:00

I am having exactly the same problem as  jessy5765 but my server is a poweredge 2950. Will this iso work for this server as well ?

I cannot logon to http://dtxdropbox.dell.com to try, login fails.

Could you help please ?

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

March 13th, 2013 07:00

here is the info I gave Jessy, this will show you how to create the same disc, but for your system. The posting I did for Jessy expired after 7 days, so its gone at this point,

Please take a look below:

Rm can be downloaded from this link: www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

The 2nd video at this site details how to create the bootable iso en.community.dell.com/.../1767.dell-repository-manager.aspx

14 Posts

March 13th, 2013 07:00

This probably will not work. They are different hardware.

14 Posts

March 13th, 2013 18:00

Okay. So I downloaded the repository manager. Downloaded the files, Created the repository, imported the files into the repository, Created a bundle, added the files to the bundle and then exported them to a Linux iso using the Manager..... when it boots up, the Linux OS boots, then when it tries to install the files all I get are the file names then: No Such File or Directory, it does that for all 8 updates but lists the file names. Did I not do something right?

No Events found!