Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

HK

August 24th, 2010 15:00

Can you config a hot-spare for failover on T110 server with SAS6/iR Controller?

I want to purchase a T110 server with a SAS6/iR controller, with RAID1 and a spare drive.  Since the T110 doesn't support hot-plug or hot-swap, I thought that having a spare drive for failover would be a solution.  Then, in the event of a drive failure, the mirrored set will rebuild on the spare.  After the set is rebuilt, the data will be protected until a planned shutdown can be scheduled to replace the dead drive.

Sounds like a good plan, right?!  Unfortunately, I'm told that the T110 with an SAS6/iR controller cannot be configured with a spare.  This is despite information to the contrary on page 46 of the SAS6/iR controller user manual.

Is there anyone who can either confirm or deny that conclusion?

8 Posts

August 24th, 2010 21:00

T110 can be installed sas 6i, do raid 1,However,can't hot swap.

3 Posts

August 25th, 2010 13:00

Is that because the T110 does not also support hot-swap?  Is it dependant on the server having a back-plane that supports hot-plug?  Thank you for your help.

3 Posts

August 25th, 2010 16:00

I talked to Dell, and they said that  you cannot configure a hotapare for failover on a T110 - even with a SAS6/iR controller.  They kept pushing the T310 instead.

884 Posts

August 25th, 2010 16:00

The server does not support hot-swap as a backplane is needed for that and it cannot be configured with one.

It does support hotspares, though it may refer to it as failover. In the controller BIOS, you can go to RAID prop>view existing>manage array>manage failover or hotspare.

No Events found!